Studio Design Refresh - Updated Icons & High DPI Capabilities

The original Instance icons come from the Silk Icon Set (extended with Roblox specific icons), which was one of the best free icon sets available back at the time of Roblox Studio’s creation, so quite a few different applications created during that period use those icons.

4 Likes

Is it known where the new icons are stored? I’d like to edit some colors for a custom pack

Not gonna lie, that’s actually really funny. But seriously, the new icons are so much better. You can actually tell what the instances class is.

2 Likes

I have a few feedbacks:

(1) Whenever I insert a children under a folder or anything, it automatically zoom into my 32-inch fullscreen (img attached), very annoying

(2) The scripts’ color (serverscript & localscript) in both explorer and main ribbon is super hard to see, like nightmare for colorblind or astigmatism people like me

(3) The icon in the main home ribbon is single colored too, very hard to see, like Tool, Model, Select, Move, only the “Play” button is different color.

→ I think Unreal Engine IDE has different color in home ribbon too. Hope you guys reconsider the singular-color approach, I think it is very niche, hard to see and not popular.
Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 09.16.47

1 Like

These icons look absolutely fabulous! Great work on making Studio more simplistic and modern! Love it :smiley:

1 Like

Color, that what i was looking for, the design show at the RDC was bad as hell because we got no colours, but now I will try…

1 Like

When this was in a closed beta(???) (I’m in the beta program and got a preview of this, I’m assuming that was why) a few weeks ago, the thing that tripped me up the most were the Play/Run/Play Here icons.

I wish they were a bit more consistent to the old ones, i.e. Run being plain, Play Here having the camera etc.

I always clicked the wrong one because I clicked them based on the icon they had, I’m sure I’m not alone on this. Bad UX choice in my opinion.

Screenshot 2022-10-26 230403

4 Likes

Everything appears bigger, and blurrier, again.

Call this an improvement if you want, but I’m tired of finding hacky fixes in the depth of the Devforums to stop my studio from looking like this:

Is anybody aware of a fix for this issue now?

Weird behaviour with plugin widgets

Plugins scaled “normally”, but the window is bigger:

1 Like

YES I have been wanting DPI improvements for so so long! Always had issues with studio being way to big for my screen and having to enable DPI scaling, hopefully this fixies that.

But I am noticing the icons seem to be really dark using light mode… Would be good if they were made a little more brighter.

2 Likes

Gotta love the ThreeDText widget jumpscare. Also if you think the widget resizing is bad, 2/3 times when loading up a place the 3D viewport is in a separate window from the single window that it should be in alongside everything else.

1 Like

Just saw this since I was already usin @ Elttob icons set and was pleasantly surprised
This is a long awaited UX update and I suggest continuin to add more colours spread

I like the “old” new ones (the blue ones, I think), but I think I can get used to them. If the user is in dark mode, I would like to use icons created explicitly for that theme.

yeah i want the old one becuase it feels classic and that’s the only one that’s the classic icon but if roblox don’t wanna do it just use custom icons!

yep these arent great i like the old ones

3 Likes

aww, I actually really liked all the colors being their own category
:<. All the white fells so soul draining.

2 Likes

Got to say, as someone who wasn’t a hater of the old overhaul of studio, this is by far much cleaner and better. There are a few things here and there that aren’t as good, but overall I am happy to have a more modern feel to studio. Good update for the most part :+1:

Will take time getting used to but very much improved over the old studio (in my opinion).

1 Like

I don’t know, he might charge us for commercial use.

Regarding this update, the UI and physics constraints icons surprised me and are easier to read than the vanilla icons.

To be honest in my personal opinion it is to monotone. Many objects are still just plain white and things like constraints are missing the color that made the icons stick out. It would be great to see more color in the icons!

1 Like

the most confusing icon is mesh

WHY is the MeshPart icon turned into new legacy mesh icon, i just panicked after seeing this although why don’t we just have a meshpart icon remake instead?? and yeah the top one is dismatched to me.

2 Likes

Much better than the former icons, and looking good so far!