Studio desktop icon gets recreated after being deleted on Windows

Issue Type: Other
Impact: Low
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced:
Date Last Experienced: 2021-05-04 12:05:00 (+03:00)

Reproduction Steps:

• Have Roblox Studio installed on Windows
  • Delete the Studio desktop icon from %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
  • Wait some time. Use Studio like you normally would and maybe try updating it

Expected Behavior:
The desktop icon shouldn’t reappear if it has been deleted by the user.

Actual Behavior:
Roblox recreates the desktop icon & since I like to keep my desktop free of any icons, it looks weird.

Workaround:

14 Likes

This is actually an interesting bug which also happens for me and probably has some more info to be given.

When Roblox player app updates, it also creates a new Studio link in StartMenu/Roblox/Programs. This link is not bound to RobloxStudioBeta however, it’s bound to RobloxStudioBetaLauncher (I’m on mobile I think this was its’ name - will verify these once I’m on PC). I don’t know how this executable file works but as far as I can see it verifies app files when it’s running and also creates a desktop icon.

So, how is this related with OP’s bug? When users want to launch Roblox Studio some prefer typing “Roblox Studio” in Windows search bar (probably OP does that since they delete the shortcut) but problem is there are two Roblox Studio shortcuts, one gets created with updating Roblox Player and one gets created with Studio updates/installations. If the one which came with Roblox Player update shows up first this can happen.

1 Like

This is is very annoying for me; I do not delete the shortcut from Desktop, but rather move it into a folder within Desktop. I always use the Windows key to pop up the menu and start typing to open programs (requires zero mouse interaction). With this bug, I end up with invalid .lnk files hiding the real Roblox Studio shortcut:
It’d greatly increase my experience if this was fixed!

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

5 Likes

Still a problem, and a very annoying one. As someone who likes to keep a clean drive, I’m literally forced to have these shortcuts installed whenever I run Roblox/Roblox Studio. :face_in_clouds:

1 Like

This is not a bug but a missing feature, you should support / reply to this thread instead: Studio should not attempt to create a desktop shortcut every time it updates

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.