Studio Improvements: You won't BELIEVE these 6 reasons why Hollywood won't cast Rick Moranis anymore!

What ever happened to lovable 80’s comic actor Rick Moranis? We found the amazing 6 Studio Improvements that explain what happened to his career (number 5 will make your jaw drop)!

1. Rick Moranis doesn’t have a “Navigate” panel
    When you open a Script in Studio, you will see the new “Navigate” panel in the Script Menu ribbon. The “Back” and “Forward” buttons work similar to those in a browser, moving you back and forwards in the “history” of places you’ve been working on recently.
    We’ve even attached hotkeys so you can quickly jump forward and back in your history!
    Rick Moranis couldn’t provide that kind of functionality and Hollywood moved on!

2. “Close Other Scripts” option
    Rick Moranis has a mess of Scripts open and closing them all is a pain. When you right click on a Script tab, you will see a “Close Other Scripts” option, which will close every script except the one on top. Sorry, Rick!

3. Multiple Filters in the Properties Filter
    Try clicking on an Instance in your Workspace (say, a Part). Now, in the Properties filter, type:
    Size;Pos
    You will see all Properties that match any terms in your semicolon-separated list? Rick Moranis? More like Rick LESS-anis!

4. Find-In-Files Results Window Rises to the Top
    When Rick Moranis does a Find-In-Files, and the Results Widget is already open, and it’s covered by some other Dock Widget, it just stays on the bottom.
    HEY RICK, it’s 2018, people don’t want that mess anymore!
    Nowadays the Find Results will pop to the top when you do a Search, and Hollywood said Buh-BYE Rick!

5. Find-In-Files, Properties Filter, and Find-within-File all have search history!
    The Text Boxes used for Find-In-Files, Properties Filters, and Find-within-File have all been upgraded to be Combo boxes, populated with a sorted list of most recent searches.
    Now when you want to repeat the search for all the places where “Rick Moranis” shows up in your code, it’s faster than ever!

6. Find-In-Files results adjust with File Changes
    Remember in “Honey I Shrunk the Kids” when Rick Moranis did a Find-In-Files, got a result on line 50 of some file, then removed 3 from the top of that file, then clicked on the search result and wound up on line 50 even though the stuff he really wanted is now on line 47?
    Yeah, that was funny in the 80s but todays audiences demand a more sophisticated approach.
    When a file changes after search results have been generated, we try to adjust so that click throughs still take you to the appropriate place.

114 Likes

Clever way to introduce updates! I had a good chuckle. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Great changes!

Any plans to allow tabbing from the “filter properties” menu into the properties list?

For example, I select a part in the workspace, do Ctrl+Shift+P to filter to the “Size” property, and then I want to change the value of that property.

Current behavior:
I have to switch back to my mouse and click on the value, then type in my changes.

Desired behavior:
From the properties filter, I press tab 3 times to jump down to the value and I can immediately start editing.

2018-04-25_16-14-42

27 Likes

How long did this take to think up lol

15 Likes

I love this lol

1 Like

Updates + Poetry = Happy developers.

3 Likes

Honey I Shrunk Our Updates!

10 Likes

I read this with joy, haha, nice work.

finally some good content

If you are joining Roblox staff to RDC EU, I am buying you a drink.
Keep em coming.

3 Likes

This has to be some fantastic inside joke at the office.

Great updates, especially #6! I was just thinking about that myself the other day.

Now this is some quality content.

In all seriousness, though, good work on all of the new updates! :+1:

2 Likes

Leave Moranis Alone :frowning:
#GiveusMoranis

1 Like

can I get some pictures to go with the points and also trim the rick meme down to approximately zero percent
please

Edit: Here’s some pics

1. Navigate between scripts (with customizable hotkeys) (based on order switched to, so not just left/right)

1. “Close Other Scripts” option (middle clicking 10 script tabs away was a pain)

1. Multiple Filters in the properties filter

1. Find-In-Files Results window rises to the top

1. Search history for Find-In-Files, Properties Filter, and Find-within-File

1. Find-In-Files results adjust with File Changes (this is a big one for me. tyvm)
15 Likes

You missed the opportunity to use #MoreMoranis :smile:

I know right. It was a bit hard to follow. Should have included a simple explanation under each one for those of us who can’t be bothered to try to understand what each one is trying to explain through this rick meme.

3 Likes

op delivered

4 Likes

nice update and even nicer meme

pleasant read

Overall Score: 9.3/10

1 Like

TIL one of the guys who used to write blog posts for Team Fortress 2 works at Roblox now.

7 Likes

Finally! I’ve been waiting for this one for a while.

Good, interesting way to introduce the updates too!

I did not understand a single thing this post said. I thought old rick left hollywood after his few films to raise his children after his wife died?

1 Like