Studio Incorrectly Interpreting Mouse Inputs in the Viewport

Reproduction Steps

Open any Studio instance on a monitor scaled higher than 100% Windows and move the viewport camera vertically or horizontally in a straight line—dragging speed seems to have some kind of impact on the frequency of this behavior

Expected Behavior

Faithful interpretation of mouse inputs while navigating the viewport

Actual Behavior

On Windows, movement of the viewport camera while right-click dragging with the mouse is frequently offset in short bursts which seems to move the camera 45 degrees in a different direction, creating a choppy viewport navigation experience

Behavior while moving the camera in a straight line vertically up and down:

Behavior while moving the camera in a straight line horizontally left and right:

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Performance
Impact: Low
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-08-28 10:08:00 (-07:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-09-16 00:09:00 (-07:00)

7 Likes

This issue occurs when using display scaling other than 100% on Windows (like one needs to do with a high-resolution monitor) and has been happening for many years now.

As @tiffblocks said in a reply in 2020, it happens because Roblox Studio is running on an older version of Qt and thus would be a large effort to fix - so don’t expect it to happen anytime soon, as I said, we’ve already been waiting >4 years now.

Unfortunately, the only “fix” for the time being is to disable scaling for Roblox Studio by finding the location of the studio executable file, opening the properties window, and disabling application scaling. And then doing that again every time Studio gets updated.

Note: I don’t have the new studio UI yet, so it’s possible this is different with that, ymmv

1 Like

I believe the new Studio ui uses a new version of Qt now

This happens on the new UI as far as I’m aware. I haven’t seen this with the old UI.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

5 Likes

Can this be fixed sooner rather than later?

Combined with this massive issue this recent update has just been a mess. It took me forever to record a perfect video to post on twitter because the camera get spazzing out.

None of this was a problem a few months ago. Roblox broke something and it frankly needs to be reversed until its issue-free.

3 Likes

I am also experiencing this… inputObject.Delta contains non-zero X component when I am only moving mouse vertically… just as @Alkan and others have shown… happening as of the Studio refresh I believe. Changing my computers window scale from 150% to 100% resolves it… but ofc everything is very small now

Annoying! Any updates would be great :slight_smile: Thanks

4 Likes

This issue is still happening for me

I’m panning left to right and it sometimes zigzags back down.

1 Like