Studio is ending support for Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) and MacOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Not a company priority? That’s very weird since the transition is already complete and staffs at the company already started using ARM devices like Apple Silicon powered Macintoshes. I wouldn’t like to stay on a Studio running in emulation for years before Rosetta ends, just because it isn’t the priority.

Either way especially for Roblox, porting work should’ve started as soon as possible because we simply can’t believe that the port will be done asap.

Sorry but I just can’t trust Roblox being able to ship a ARM native application within a year. I wouldn’t like to be unable to work on things because one application decided not to ship the native version, solely because there’s “enough” time and eventually went over the hard deadline

6 Likes

Please, don’t support Chromebooks ever. Chromebooks are so laggy and useless that it’s a full on waste of time trying to support it.

Edit: If you’ve used a school Chromebook you’ll understand

5 Likes

Sorry but… “Not a company priority?”
Roblox DevRel, the majority use Macs to showcase new features that become available for announcing on this exact website. You’re slowly discontinuing support on older versions of macOS… maybe It’s time for DevRel to support the M1 machines.

It’s frustrating as a Mac user to be on a high-end machine like the Mac Mini M1, and have Blender-like rendering run extremely perfectly but then have Roblox Studio barely allow you to have more than two Roblox Studio clients open.

I’m seriously thinking of investing in the Mac Studio M1 Ultra or Max… but knowing that Roblox Studio would be the same as it is on an M1 really annoys me. It’s very frustrating to hear you say “Not a company priority?”… disappointed at this decision.

5 Likes

:clap: Exactly, the frustration is absolutely real.
Thank you for pointing this out, it is absolutely shocking that Roblox is a multi-billionaire-dollar company and they didn’t have access to the apple silicon upon release to developers in WWDC2020… and since then it has been two years, and still no native support for M1.

4 Likes

It’s really quite ridiculous, I myself use a 2020 intel iMac 27" and was waiting to get the Mac Studio until Roblox Studio actually got support for the real deal.

Hopefully after they saw all of our complains and comments here there will be an assessment, and they’ll rethink the decision and make it somewhat a priority.

2 Likes

Hopefully I don’t use Studio in Mac.

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I will pass on your ARM concerns at the next team meeting.

10 Likes

Just double checked with my team. I was a bit off base with my previous comment. Native support for M1 is a priority, there just isn’t a team currently working on it as there are a couple of prerequisites we needed to fulfill before we can support it. One of these prereqs is upgrading our UI framework and deprecating these older versions of MacOS. So this is a first step towards M1 support.

21 Likes

Thanks for keeping everyone in the loop! It’s great to finally hear that M1 support is coming soon since this has been requested for a long time and nothing has been said about it until now.

2 Likes

So I’m still able to use studio on my Macbook Air Retina right?

1 Like

You can find out what version of Mac OS you are on by following these instructions. If you are on 10.13 or higher you are good! If you are on 10.11 or 10.12 you will need to upgrade to a newer version. This is free, and should be supported by an mac newer than 2010. Upgrade instructions can be found here.

2 Likes

Should I still create another post if there is already one?

1 Like

I suggest you that you can download the windows 10 system so you can enter the studio, I’m just kidding or you need to download the compatible version on your computer I hope you can help

1 Like

If this accurately describes your issue no need to make another one. I’ll make sure someone is taking a look at this.

2 Likes

This should not be a factor in your decision. Just because someone is capable of updating to newer releases of macOS doesn’t mean they want to. This makes me concerned because for personal & software reasons (again, not hardware!) I can’t update past 10.14, and one day (soon! Probably in the next year or so!) Roblox is going to remove support for it because everyone who uses it “is capable of upgrading”.

1 Like

Isn’t 10.15 the version where they killed off 32-bit support?

1 Like

This is basically some good news, the first time we have ever heard anything about native ARM64 support, even if it’s not a number 1 priority. ARM64 is definitely an important part of the future in terms of power efficiency and speed. Studio and Roblox run “undesirable” under Rosetta, when both are open. Can’t wait for more news

2 Likes

Exactly, that’s one reason that I’m unable to update past 10.14. On a new Mac this would not be an issue, but my Mac already has software installed, and some of it happens to be 32-bit.

1 Like

I’m very disappointed when I heard that ROBLOX (ROBLOX Studio) is no longer supporting on Mac OS Sierra. Great, first Windows XP ended support on ROBLOX back in 2019 and now this. Now I can’t use ROBLOX Studio on my Mac Computer anymore, but at least I have my Windows 10 PC. Anyways, it was fun for using ROBLOX Studio from this computer. However, at least I can still play ROBLOX on my Mac Computer. Anyways, have a good day or evening (depending of what time zone your from).

1 Like

I have a question. Does the ROBLOX Studio application will be uninstalled when ROBLOX Studio is ending support on Mac OS Sierra, or you could still use Roblox Studio but it won’t receive latest updates, features etc? I’m just curious is because ROBLOX Studio (including ROBLOX Player) got uninstalled after it got shut off in August 2019.

2 Likes