Studio is ending support for Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) and MacOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Hello Developers,

If you are using Roblox Studio on Windows or a version of MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra) or later then you can ignore this post.

Beginning June 1st, 2022 we will begin discontinuing support for Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) and MacOS 10.12 (Sierra).

Discontinuing support is not an easy decision, but is necessary for us to keep Studio moving forward. This deprecation allows us to upgrade our core UI framework, gaining several new features which we believe will improve the visual and performance quality of Studio.

These deprecated versions are no longer supported by Apple, and our analytics show almost all of our users are either already on 10.13 or are on hardware capable of upgrading to 10.13.

Please upgrade as soon as possible. Below are official Apple Support links to get you started:

With this deprecation users on these platforms will become unable to launch new releases of Studio. If you believe this deprecation is going to cause significant hardship to you, please respond in the thread below.

103 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

This is fine if it means improving Roblox studio. When will the actual Roblox client lose support for those operating systems?

11 Likes

Any news when Studio will support M1 natively without Rosetta? Could potentially increase performance for us M1 Mac users :+1:

30 Likes

Studio moving to 10.13 has no impact on Client. Client will continue supporting those operating systems for some time, but I cannot guarantee any exact timeframes.

10 Likes

Unfortunately no news yet. There is desire to support arm natively for m1 and chromebooks, but it is not currently a company priority.
EDIT CORRECTION:
Just double checked with my team. I was a bit off base with my previous comment. Native support for M1 is a priority, there just isn’t a team currently working on it as there are a couple of prerequisites we needed to fulfill before we can support it. One of these prereqs is upgrading our UI framework and deprecating these older versions of MacOS. So this is a first step towards M1 support.

45 Likes

This is definitely a well needed change and should open up more possibilities with Roblox Studio.

7 Likes

Not a Mac user. But if this change is needed to progress with Roblox Studio, Then go for it. It’s better to “lose” something and progress rather than just stay as how it is for a really long time.

Speaking of UI and Design, Are we gonna have a new update related to Roblox Studio’s Script Editor anytime soon? Alot of people have been asking for one. Multi-cursor support, Multi-edit, Better optimization and new features related to it would be really awesome.

5 Likes

I agree with dropping support for older versions of operating systems when doing so will allow improvements to the engine, so I am good with this change.

6 Likes

Does this mean that we will have Apple Silicon support sooner? I have been having a few Rosetta issues for some time now.

2 Likes

This is fine for me, because I use Mac OS 12.3 (Monterey)

And if it means improving Roblox Studio, then I definitely support this update! :+1:

4 Likes

Yes we have a team working on holistically improving Script Editor. I can’t comment right now on their ongoing efforts, but we are making editor improvements a priority.

8 Likes

No set plans regarding native arm support are in the pipeline. If you are seeing issues with Rosetta, please report those, as that will help us make decisions about native arm support.

3 Likes

Is this indicative of the Qt upgrade that we were told would be coming out this summer?
@PoshKiwi

1 Like

If possible, maybe you guys can add a option to forcefully install it on old devices, in case they really need to do that.

2 Likes

Lets gooooo i been waiting for this!

1 Like

Is a Linux version of Studio coming???

9 Likes

Guys, does Big Sur come before or after Sierra? I use use a MacBook with Big Sur 100% of the time when I develop, will this affect me?

1 Like

It was released after 3 versions that are released after MacOS 10.12 (Sierra), so you will be alright for a while.

2 Likes

Thank you! Hopefully it’s a long while…

1 Like