Studio lagging uncontrollably when game view is covered with a script (with video)

This lag also occurs under different circumstances but this is the most intrusive one.

When I open Roblox Studio everything behaves as expected until I open a script.
When I open a script, Studio’s frame rate drops to something like 2-5 fps making it impossible to code.
The only workaround I have found has been to undock the script window so the game view is no longer covered. I often elect to place it on my second monitor (though I would much prefer it remain docked over the game view). Once I do this, performance returns to normal.
This happens in existing places, and brand new, unmodified place files.

As for the other times this lag occurs as I mentioned above, sometimes after clicking ‘Play Solo’ and then stopping the test, Studio will lag until I focus the Toolbox by clicking its title or somewhere inside of it.

This lag doesn’t affect the rest of my system, just Roblox. It’s also worth noting that while Studio is lagging for either of these reasons and I click another window like Spotify or my desktop, Studio will return to normal performance, even with a script docked over the game view.

This lag makes using Studio very difficult and I’ve noticed a few similar (but not the same) topics around the forums about people experiencing this lag but from different causes (like someone wasn’t having the script open version but would lag constantly if he interacted with the Toolbox or Terrain Editor).

Here is a video of it happening:

I am more than happy to give any debug files needed.

What I’ve done to try and troubleshoot the problem:

• I have uninstalled Roblox Studio, deleted its AppData folder (AppData\Local\Roblox), deleted rbxcsettings.rbx in AppData\LocalLow, reinstalled Studio, and watched the lag continue.

• I’ve opened blank project files and still seen them lagging when I follow the repro steps above.

• I’ve ensured I had no plugins running and still lagged.

• I’ve tested on my laptop but didn’t get the same problems.

My system specs are:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 core
Graphics: EVGA 1070ti TFW
Ram: 16 GB
Storage: Roblox is installed on a Samsung SSD

I will send log files to the place you send log files and link back here.
I am open to helping in any way. I need Studio to be working smoothly again.

Edit: I also talked a bit about this problem here:

7 Likes

I’m bumping because I’m really having trouble using studio right now and need this fixed or help finding a better workaround.

2 Likes

Do you have G-Sync enabled? If so, try disabling it in NVidia’s settings.

5 Likes

After disabling G-Sync in the Nvidia control panel and then restarting Studio the lag entirely disappeared which is amazing! I tried re-enabling G-Sync and restarting Studio again to show my brother how bad the lag was and it returned so this solution is repeatable! Thank you so much!
I would like to have G-Sync enabled so it would be nice if this could be sorted out but I’m more than happy with this workaround as it means I can go back to using Studio normally.
I was worried no one would answer and my question would be ignored so thank you for responding and helping.
I’m going to go use Studio for an extended session and I’ll come back here if the lag comes back but if you don’t hear from me again that means it’s gone for good, so thank you!

2 Likes

Im having this issue too. Can you give me some more detailed instructions to disable G-Sync? I don’t know what that is.

Not all monitors support it so if you’re not sure what it is then it’s unlikely you have it enabled but I’ll show you how to disable it just in case.

Rightclick on your desktop (on windows) and click ‘Nvidia control panel’
After a moment, a window should open that looks like this:

If it’s not already selected, select the tab on the left titled ‘Set up G-SYNC’
Then uncheck the property ‘Enable G-SYNC, G-SYNC Compatible’
A ‘Apply’ button should then appear in the bottom right of the window. Click it.
Restart Roblox Studio for changes to take effect.

If you don’t see a G-Sync related tab on the left as I do then you probably don’t have a monitor that supports it so you don’t have to worry about it being enabled, and the lag is probably coming from something else.
If you have an AMD graphics card or are using integrated graphics on an AMD CPU then you won’t have the Nvidia control panel and will need to look up how to disable FreeSync.

2 Likes

I’m on a mac so I don’t think that’s my problem. I’m having the EXACT same issue as you though.

1 Like

Are you using a iMac or MacBook with a built-in display or are you using a MacMini or other apple computer with an external display?

I’m using a MacBook with a built-in display.

It’s a 2019 version.

yeah it’s very unlikely the problem is G-Sync or Free-Sync related in your case. I wish I could help more :frowning:

Can vouch on the problem, but there’s far more than that.

This is surely not a device performance issue as even bigger games outside of the platform work absolutely flawless.

This is a cricital issue; whether they’re scripts, rotating the camera, interacting with Explorer, publishing the game, etc. Many people are experiencing this, this needs a fix ASAP.

2 Likes

Are you using a Mac as well? If you’re using windows turning off any sort of variable refresh rate technology seems to fix the problem.

I use Windows. As for turning off the refresh rate technology, what exactly do you mean?

G-Sync or Free-Sync depending on if you have an Nvidia graphics card or an AMD one.
I described how to disable G-Sync in my post above. You might have to Google how to disable Free-Sync if you’re using an AMD graphics card or integrated graphics.

1 Like

Happening to me, my studio freezes like every 5s. I don’t even have the G-Sync option in my settings.

1 Like

@swmaniac It sounds like a lot of people without G-Sync are experiencing similar lag to my case still.

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

4 Likes

Any update on this specific bug?

I seem to have this issue and turning off G-SYNC seems to be the only fix so far.

Hey Lacryma!
We’re currently in the middle of rolling out an update that fixes this issue. It should be fixed for you soon! Thanks for your patience.

5 Likes

Hello! Does this bug occur anymore for any of you?