Studio Meshpart Alignment Bug

• When I try to align any meshpart to a basepart there is an odd allign glitch (this has never happened before with the exact same meshparts and the exact same method I have used before) This started after the latest studio update.

• This bug happens everytime I try to click and drag the meshpart on to the part, it seems to mess with the hitbox somehow, the only current way to fix this is to use the transform tool to re-align the parts every time and sometimes this doesn’t work. To replicate this bug insert any meshpart, then click and drag it onto another part, like this:
    https://i.gyazo.com/cfc2eafd40beea593b60821f2c797059.mp4

• This bug happens on all studio places I have tested (About 5 or 6)

• This bug recently started after the most recent studio update.

(Reply if you need any additional information)

UPDATE: I have a hunch that it has to do with the recent added avatar collision, no proof yet since I haven’t been able to publish my places due to the studio publishing bug. image

9 Likes

A couple things I noticed about this bug…

Anyways here’s a repro file.
MeshPartRepro.rbxl (37.9 KB)

2 Likes

I’m experiencing this issue as well with a corner MeshPart I have.

Something else to note:

• Even after removing decimals in the MeshPart’s position, it still fails to align properly
1 Like

I can confirm that this is happening. MeshParts tend to become misaligned. This has adversely affected one of my current projects and I may need to reconstruct it.

1 Like

It does ? Which parts if I may know ?

1 Like

Camera part and Sound Part

Can you confirm if this still occurs ?

1 Like

This problem no longer occurs. Thanks!:wink:

1 Like

I still have this issue.

https://gyazo.com/f2db24f18c85ecbd7e9d49551e82d981

The MeshParts have their CollisionFidelity set to Hull. Move increment is 1 stud. Part size for both is 1 stud on all axis.

UPDATE: I’m still facing the issue where meshes positions get offset by odd values when using move handles.

The tetra intersecting the wedge has a position of [-2.74, 2.54, -4.54]. My movement increment was set to 0.1, and this part was grid aligned and has only been moved via handles. I didn’t drag the part itself at any point in time. The size is regular, at [0.6, 1, 3]

This misalignment only occurs when CollisionFidelity is not Box.

3 Likes

This issue has been happening to me since last year, and it is still occurring. I usually have to set the collision to box if I want to drag my MeshParts or Unions.

This problem could be related to how Roblox has an extremely low-quality collision generation for meshparts, and can’t be fixed without them making collisions more accurate.

This occurs even if you use a convex hull on a cube (identical to having box, which has no issues), so collision quality is not likely the culprit given that the collision bounds are identical and it’s only the specific property that’s different.

@TJT01 mentioned however it doesn’t occur with collision fidelity set to box, which I can confirm.

I wanted to be able to make my own parts to use while building to make my life significantly easier and quicker instead of having to use Blender to create housing. I’ve created two corner pieces which are 2 x 2 studs size and have geometry which should work perfectly with the parts I’m attempting to put them next to.

This bug has been infuriating me for quite a while now, whenever I attempt to place parts like this together often they’ll be on a different alignment all together even if I use Roblox’s move tool to put them onto the block. The increments I use are 1, 0.5, 0.2, 0.1 and 0.05 but all do not help solve the problems I’m facing.

https://gyazo.com/0848912ce741d2f46a60f01f20d6779b
https://gyazo.com/57e8ca9f78bad3239fc46ac2614c0cf8

The meshes I’m using:
CurvePieceB.obj (987 Bytes)
CurvePiece.obj (995 Bytes)
The place:
Baseplate.rbxl (19.5 KB)

5 Likes

You can set the CollisionFidelity of the MeshParts to Box to fix your issue.

Turn them back to Default/Hull when you’re done building.

3 Likes

If this works then theoretically that means this issue should be fixable by changing the dragger to use the Box collision mesh and the associated dragging logic (as an option / setting?).

More importantly this also means the bounding box for meshparts either isn’t correct, or the dragger doesn’t try to align it properly.

1 Like

Can we please have this bug fixed? I’ve encountered this kind of issue for the last 6 months. The meshes are not aligning well when using the dragger and always offset with 0.04.

I don’t remember which patch did not have these issues.

3 Likes

This bug isn’t restricted to meshes and unions. Often times it’ll happen to me dragging normal parts.

1 Like

Different story, that’s Sorcery with Float Point Error which involves smaller decimals. This is pointing at larger decimals.

If you encounter the issue dragging normal parts, could you provide evidence to it?

1 Like

I know what floating point imprecision is. I was getting the exact same problem as you with normal parts being consistently 0.04 studs off. I’ll send a place file if I encoumter it again.

EDIT: False alarm. I looked back at some screenshots from a few days ago. I was moving normal parts, but onto unions.

2 Likes