Studio no longer respecting place file command-line argument

Reproduction Steps

This issue can be reproduced by opening Studio to a specific place file via the command line:

RobloxStudioBeta.exe "path\to\place\file.rbxl"

I am running Windows 11. Though probably not necessary to reproduce, my system information:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
  • Memory: 16.0 GB Memory
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER

Expected Behavior

I expect Studio to open to the place file specified via the first command line argument.

Actual Behavior

Instead of opening to the specified place file, Studio opens to the start screen as if nothing was passed.

This bug breaks run-in-roblox, a tool for automatically running scripts on the file system inside Roblox Studio. It’s used for automated testing workflows both locally and in CI systems. This bug is critical for that workflow and completely prevents automated testing.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Other
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-01-24 00:01:00 (+00:00)

11 Likes

This also catastrophically breaks a key build step for Rojo (gathering reflection information with generate_reflection), and there are likely several other tools out there that rely on this argument as well.

3 Likes

Hello, the supported way to open a RBXL via command line is to use the localPlaceFile argument: -localPlaceFile fileName should work.

2 Likes

Hi Paul,

This doesn’t seem to work either (same symptoms as the OP) - am I doing something wrong here?

2 Likes

No you aren’t doing anything wrong there! We think we have found the issue and should have it resolved in the next couple of hours.

7 Likes

Awesome, thank you very much! :smile:

1 Like

This should now be fixed. Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention @grilme99 and the additional info @HaxHelper

I suggest a full shutdown and restart of Studio… let us know if you’re still having issues.

6 Likes

@MeshOfPaul Heya! Sorry to bug you. Is this bug related?

No bother at all! So the update that caused the original bug in this thread (not opening the file at all) would have resolved your issue (not opening if there’s a pending update). So once they make sure they have a fix for the first thing, they will re-release the update that should fix the other thing. I didn’t get an ETA but it sounds like it will be very soon.

I hope that makes sense. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.