Studio on mac tremendously laggy

Still experiencing issues like these on Catalina that render studio basically unusable, lucky Rojo exists!
Running on 2019 Macbook Pro, 16GB RAM, 6-Core i7 and dedicated Radeon graphics. Hopefully an actual fix turns up one day…

2 Likes

I have never experienced Studio being this laggy on macOS Catalina but there are a few things I have done to make Studio run better on a Mac.

1. Try to keep as few apps open in the background as possible and use Safari instead of Chrome or Firefox if you need to browse the web while using Studio. Also if you use Chrome, disable Background Sync.
  2. Disabling hardware acceleration in apps like Discord or Chrome.
  3. Remove all apps that automatically start up when you log into your Mac user account or remove as many of them as you can. Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items and remove everything from the list.
  4. In Studio, go to File > Settings > Rendering and set the Graphics Mode to “Metal”
  5. Set mail fetch to “Manual” for all email accounts in Apple Mail and disable notifications for Apple Mail and don’t leave Apple Mail open while using Studio.
  6. Change some of the settings in System Preferences
  • In System Preferences go to Dock and turn Magnification off and disable “Show recent applications in Dock”
  • Go to the Extensions section of System Preferences and click on “Today” and uncheck all the items
  • Disable the Dynamic wallpaper if you use the default macOS wallpaper, If there is a dropdown menu that says “Dynamic”, set it to “Light (Still)” or “Dark (Still)”
  • go into the Screen Time section of System Preferences and click “Continue” at the bottom right corner if it is your first time opening it and click “Options” and make sure it says “Screen Time for this Mac: Off” if it is on, click “Turn Off”.
  1. If you are using a MacBook with Thunderbolt 3 that is running macOS 10.15.5 or newer, disable the battery health feature in the Energy Saver System Preferences.

These are some of the things that I tried to reduce the lag in Studio on macOS Catalina.

7 Likes

Color Profile being changed to Apple RGB solved the issue on the same device for me.

6 Likes

Sorry if this is considered a bump, however the issue is still persistent.

I’m experiencing it as well, the colour profile thing did improve it, but now my computer looks quite different, and I am not sure if I like it. I personally think a solution should be available without changing the system’s preferences, also especially considering I have a pretty new laptop with decent specs.

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 6.30.43 PM

3 Likes

Not sure if this is related, but I am suffering tremendous lag while I script with the search bar open; this problem just started when I updated today. Could your scripting lag be related to this? Running Studio on Windows though.

1 Like

Screen tearing with Vertical Sync (vSync,G-Sync) seems problematic for interface workflow.

I used Apple’s Xcode utility pack with Quartz Debug to disable the feature it seems.
-Render throttle could be another considerable factor.

3 Likes

Same for me. When I click stop it takes 50 seconds to free up the screen again. And each letter after that takes 1 second to appear. Here is a video of it in action:

https://www.loom.com/share/1198d6492c064accab9d6a564c25fa56

It is soooooooo painful waiting 50 seconds for it to free up again.

3 Likes

Hey I’ve got some clues for you Roblox devs!

Typing is slow
Copy pasting into a blank space is slow
BUT replace pasting is fast

This would lead me to believe there is some kind of event tied to typing that is being bypassed on replace paste.

Here is a video of this in action:

https://www.loom.com/share/cfb4b66c8756436cb01881bf1d05509c

My (uneducated) guess is it there is some kind of blocking network related event that is connected to the typing event.

When I analyze network packets studio is not sending any packets when typing. So looks it like it might not be related to a network send/receive event.

3 Likes

I’m currently running macOS Catalina on a 2020 IMac 27". I also experience problems when using the Text Editor. I’ve only found one solution which is still really annoying, if you open the script editor and pull it out into a separate window it doesn’t lag as much. I hope this helps!

(Also for safety reasons please blur out the serial number, people can take over your Mac with it.

2 Likes

“but now my computer looks quite different”: The reason that your Mac looks different is probably because your running MacOS Big Sur beta, I wouldn’t recommend installing Beta’s and only using official finished versions. (macOS Catalina)

desktop-macos-catalina-big-sur-comparison

2 Likes

Catalina was super laggy as well

3 Likes

Yeah, but it’s quite dangerous to use Big Sur before its released. You’re good right now though, not a real reason to go back to Catalina. Big Sur is coming out in a week or so anyway!

2 Likes

Basically just telling you that in the future you shouldn’t update to a MacOS Beta for your main Mac. Its always better to download a Beta on a separate Mac. :slight_smile:

(Or a separate drive)

2 Likes

I have been trying to get back into developing my game, but this tremendous lag for Macs has made it extremely difficult to continue. It is impossible to script within Roblox Studio itself because of its long pauses at trying to process responses to whatever you type. I am not able to fathom why this problem has remained consistent for so long.

I’ve seen somebody post a thread like this, one of the staff took it down saying the topic has already asked but failed to give us an update or provide us with some sort of assurance that they are working on this issue.

I’m very frustrated with how this issue has been handled, and I’ll probably have to resort to using github or tools that’ll provide a better workflow on coding than Roblox Studio.

4 Likes

at least you guys get to get into studio…whenever I try to get in the app it just bounces forever and lags my whole computer…don’t even have the chance to experience your issues

4 Likes

or maybe it’s because they changed the color profile on their display as they mentioned?

1 Like

I’m running a i7-6700k & 16GB RAM on Mojave and I have no issues, maybe it’s a issue when Studio has been open for a while or more likely, you’re running on throttling, or underpowered hardware

1 Like

Seems to be related to software issue, my new Mac which uses ARM architecture and has a higher clock rate still have lagging issue when coding in studio

2 Likes

Just a FYI, this thread is for Mac users, not Windows or Linux :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. I am using macOS, why would you think I was using anything else on a thread that has Mac in the title and pretty much everyone is complaining about performance on macOS.

3 Likes