Studio on mac tremendously laggy

It’s rare to see an Intel Mac with a Intel i7-6XXXXK series CPU, since the K usually means the chip is unlocked, it’s mostly H, T, U, Y, HQ for laptops, especially Intel Mac

1 Like

The Late 2015 5K iMac comes with a 6th gen i5 or i7. It can be upgraded to any LGA1151 CPU.

2 Likes

Oh, you are using the iMac, really sorry, forgot iMac existed.

1 Like

Anyway, seems like most of the MacBook users will be affected by this lag issue, including the new M1 Mac

Though, if I am able to use FCP, Compressor, Motion, Logic Pro, and even games (emulated with CrossOver), how come Studio will be this laggy?

This seems to be a software issue, rather than our hardware. Perhaps it was because Studio for Mac isn’t fully built with Swift, whatsoever.

2 Likes

My 2018 MacBook Pro had tons of lag in the Studio script editor after updating to Big Sur but my late 2013 MacBook Pro did not have this issue on Big Sur. I tried changing the color profile from Color LCD to the Generic RGB Profile color profile on my 2018 MacBook Pro and it fixed the script editor lag. I also tried going into the system folder where the color profiles are stored on my late 2013 MacBook Pro that was also running macOS Big Sur and I used AirDrop to send the Color LCD profile to my 2018 MacBook Pro and copied it to /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays and tried using that color profile on my 2018 MacBook Pro and that fixed the script editor lag for me.

The colors are slightly off when using the 2013 MacBook Pro’s color profile on my 2018 MacBook Pro but not as much as the Generic RGB Profile. The colors might also be slightly off because I have True Tone enabled and the 2013 MacBook Pro doesn’t have a True Tone display. I

If anyone wants the color profile that I used: 2013ColorProfile.zip (3.0 KB)
Copy this file to /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays

I think that some of these lag issues are occurring because Roblox Studio isn’t properly optimized for retina displays but my Late 2013 MacBook Pro doesn’t have this issue and it also has a Retina display.

I am 90% sure that Roblox Studio on macOS is ported from Windows but with some changes done to it such as adding support for Metal and changing some of the keyboard shortcuts. The keyboard shortcut to close a window is ctrl F4 on Windows and command W on a Mac but Roblox Studio is command F4 on macOS. There are also some keyboard shortcuts that were just changed from ctrl (something) to command (something) that don’t have a native keyboard shortcut on macOS such as find and replace which is ctrl H on windows and there is no native shortcut for on the Mac and Studio has command H for find and replace on macOS which is a system shortcut to hide all the windows in an application on macOS.

4 Likes

Getting the same issue here with a brand new M1 Mac Mini. Noticeable selection delay in the script editor and an impossible-to-use explorer. Every time I click on something, I end up dragging some random brick into another brick I happened to hover over when moving to my next target! It’s intolerable and I won’t stand for this. ROBLOX engineers seem to use MacOS as their operating system, and I’m wondering how on earth they deal with this.

2 Likes

Does anyone know how long this lag has been an issue? Is it from a recent update or has it been an ongoing issue? I only opened up Studio today after moving from Windows a couple of days ago.

1 Like

It’s been nearly a year for me now. I updated my mac every time one was available hoping the lag would go away. Everything now seems worse as I described in the first post. I also found that Team Create would really boost the lag and make me lag just by looking around with my mouse in the game. To test games, I’d publish it and play it on the Roblox app.

2 Likes

How do you even cope with that?
Surely there are better development platforms if Mac is unusable?

Also, I don’t suppose your studio settings are refusing to save for you as well?

1 Like

Sometimes some of my Studio settings were not saving after I updated to macOS Big Sur but usually if i restarted studio and tried changing the settings again, it would work. Also, what monitor are you using with your Mac mini? I think this issue is caused by the default color profiles for some displays. My late 2013 MacBook Pro running macOS Big Sur did not seem to have any lag in the script editor at all but my 2018 MacBook Pro had tons of lag in the script editor and a little bit of lag in the command bar. I was able to fix most of the lag by changing the color profile on my 2018 MacBook Pro to the default color profile for my 2013 MacBook Pro.

3 Likes

LG’s 4K Ultrafine Display. (1920x1080 scale)
Why do colour profiles have anything to do with it…? I don’t see why it should be an issue.
I’ll get back to you later, my shoulder’s killing me atm.

3 Likes

For me the Studio editing lag happened when upgrading to Big Sur. They use a cross platform library called Qt to build the editor, and I think something there must be the culprit. There must be a magic setting that will help, hopefully someone can find it.

2 Likes

SSD storage won’t affect your performance. I have the brand new M1, top spec MacBook Pro and the script editor is still laggy. Roblox isn’t great at optimizing Roblox Studio. Your CPU is a little dated, and the integrated graphics won’t help. Your MacBook Air has no active cooling system, and will end up throttling your CPU during longer use periods.

5 Likes

I was also skeptical about the color profiles having any affect on the editing lag, but sure enough it fixed my issue. It’s weird because this means I can’t use the profile created for my Mac and color seems off now, but oh well. What I did was open System Preferences → Displays → Color (this is a tab). Once here be sure to turn off “Show profiles for this display only.” You will then see a lot of color profiles, some that fix the issue and some that don’t. Go figure.

Additional Note: When I was debugging which color profile would fix the issue I actually had Studio open in the background with a script being edited. Then with the color profile preferences open, as I selected different color profiles, I would simply pop over to Studio and scroll/edit to see if the lag was present. It turns out selecting different color profiles affects performance instantly.

4 Likes

I’ve done some coding and I can confirm that this seems to have worked for me as well. I’m using the sRGB profile at the bottom of the list.

Annoying to deal with but at least it’s fixed.

(ignore the above post, I accidentally failed to reply to you)

3 Likes

I too was sketpical about the color profiles, but it seems that picking the sRGB profile has no effect on the display whatsoever. At least, no differences that I notices right off the bat. Just hopped on studio and I notice there is no lag! (Thanks @ithacaTheEnby)

I wonder why the Retina display is such a problem for Roblox Studio?

1 Like

Basically, your hardware does not meet the standards required to run ROBLOX Studio. Definitely consider investing in a better PC, chief.

4 Likes

also having this issue, has happened before moving to Big Sur but every where from trying to write a couple lines of code to even navigating my game/building has be come a challenge. I thought it was from my game being a virus but turns out there are plenty of others with same glitch… sad cause I love being creative and building a world. please help

1 Like

Macs run studio just fine in most cases. I use a very old one with no major issues other than metal graphics interfering and causing visual issues. There might be something corrupt within the studio code or it’s just not optimized fully for big sur. (or in the case of the OP, catalina.)

1 Like

Another solution for me was creating a new account on my Mac and using that account for studio instead.

Not very efficient but at least it works.

4 Likes