Studio on mac tremendously laggy

I had the EXACT same issue, Roblox Studio would refuse to work properly and would lag significantly on any action, doing anything was impossible. I have the same MacBook as you, but the 2018 version. Through various testing I realised Studio would work fine on Bootcamp, Studio would work fine using another system account (such as guest), reinstalling the studio app did nothing.
It lead me to the conclusion that there were some corrupted files that Studio used on my system that was not part of the app. I eventually used CleanMyMac to delete any and all Roblox files and do a fresh install. I did this on Catalina, ~8 months ago. Wish you luck.

1 Like

The color profile seems to be the solution to the lag issue at the moment, thanks a lot!

2 Likes

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/apple-silicon-mac-review-for-developers-and-a-concern-for-engineers/969372/14 This review highlights issues as well!

2 Likes

Same. I was having scripting problems. But I fixed this by using Visual Studio.

1 Like

I’ve been having this same issue for nearly a year, and the best help I’ve gotten from Roblox was to make a new account on my MacBook, and it’s such a pain since this happens almost every 3 months so far. I really hope they come up with a fix or just tell us what we can do to fix this ourselves.

1 Like

Trust me this is really a pain and Roblox really need to up the game with this because it’s been occuring so much for MacOS users and having a bunch of alternate throwaway users on your system is NOT a solution. This also occurs with other areas not just the script editor one which is the main menu it start using an insane amount of CPU usage just for a main menu displaying auto generated place icons?

2 Likes

I have that issue too. Most of my place icons are base plates regardless having an image for the game. It takes a good minute for my game to load and it’s fairly light. Ik it’s not my game since I can play my game well on the roblox client but moving in studio takes forever. On an up-note, play testing isn’t as laggy, but that does nothing for the development of my game, but for now I’ll be making a new profile again for maybe the third or fourth time. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Update: Conditions have gotten worse since earlier this morning. Now it loads for a good 3 seconds before I even move anywhere.

1 Like

I also have a 2020 MacBook Air but the Intel version instead of the M1 and I still get a lot of lag in studio especially when typing scripts

3 Likes

I was experiencing this problem for quite a while too. I just recently upgraded to a 2020 MBP. The problem got so insane, I couldn’t click on parts and move them without my frames dropping way down to below 10. I couldn’t even type in scripts with more than a line. Changing settings never really helped, and there was no other get around. What worked for me was the most annoying path, but it worked. I reccomend:

• Completely delete ROBLOX studio. Log out, delete all program files and anything stored within your finder. You do not need to delete world saves, just the application itself. I recommend using something like CleanMyMac to assist in deleting, it will remove all the hidden files you might not be able to find. Then just simply get a fresh install of ROBLOX studio. If this doesn’t work, maybe try updating your MacOS?

You shouldn’t have to do something this insane, ROBLOX should honestly have better support for Mac users since so much of us who use them experience these problems, and switching to windows is usually not a preferred option.

4 Likes

We suspect that the problem file (for at least one variant of this bug - though there is definitely more than one) is ~/Library/Preferences/com.roblox.RobloxStudio.plist . If you have this problem, before deleting everything, try moving that file to a different location and starting Studio.

And, if this resolves the problem, please send us the file by PM. Anytime a bug is caused by a corrupt settings file, an example of a broken version is invaluable to finding the issue and debugging it.

3 Likes

This topic mentions similar problems. You’re far from alone.

2 Likes

I have the files but can’t send them to you as they aren’t a supported format for the forums!

1 Like

Rename them to .txt files, please.

3 Likes

I presume you also have problems with the script editor? Slowdowns in the script editor are nothing new, at least on macOS.

As proven by this topic, the performance issues aren’t just isolated to older Macs either.

1 Like

Hello. I have a mac 21.5 inch desktop. I suggest you close down all other programs and use a better connection if possible. Mine internet is 35mbps and my mac gets 40-60 fps on most roblox games. Here is the specs of my mac: Intel core i5 and intergrated graphics. So hopefully that helps.

1 Like

Roblox relies on your CPU along your gpu (slightly) for things like lighting and all. It’s known to cause issues on your CPU. Macs are known for not being that powerful. Not to mention it’s 2017, 3 years old. Try to open the same thing but on a different computer. I honestly think this is your issue. I had the same when I used a Mac.

Edit: It also depends on your memory count. Close background applications. Make sure they’re closed and not running in the background. Are you using SSD or HDD? SSD is way faster.

3 Likes

I suggest upgrading your storage you do have 100gb free but i suggest around 300-400gb free for your mac to still have stuff on it but also be pretty fast. Also the 300-400gb only applies if you can get a 1T external storage device. They are reasonably priced at amazon. Here is the link for one of them (its around 50 bucks) https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07CRG7BBH/ref=asc_df_B07CRG7BBH/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309777534894&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3129393762689028048&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023097&hvtargid=pla-568399753366&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=58425267301&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309777534894&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3129393762689028048&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023097&hvtargid=pla-568399753366

2 Likes

I’d honestly look into getting a network drive (NAS). Mine has been a lifesaver. I’m taking up over a terabyte for my music. Then dev stuff also takes up a lot. They’re a bit pricey.

1 Like

Mac devices after 2012 comes with SSD, as Roblox is installed in your application folder, which is in your system disk. This question is a bit pointless to ask.

1 Like