Studio Regularly Gray Screens when play-testing

Reproduction Steps

- Open up an experience or specific place in Roblox Studio

• Play Test the game within studio
  • It might take 2 - 3 attempts for this to happen, but Roblox Studio’s viewport will almost certainly completely gray screen within 2 - 3 attempts. It often happens 2 - 3 times in a row, too.

I am using a Macbook Air (M1) at the time of posting, although this also happens on my Windows 11 (AMD) PC.

MacOS System Info:

Windows 11 PC Info:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
32GB DDR4 RAM,
Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB

Expected Behavior

I expect Studio to play-test normally, with the viewport loading normally 100% of the time.

Actual Behavior

Over 50% of the time (for me), the viewport goes to a gray-screen as soon as the “Play-Test” button is clicked. Sometimes, after clicking “Stop” the gray screen doesn’t go away, so that the only way to reset it is opening a script and closing it again, which refreshes the viewport.

This is what it looks like:

Workaround

Press the Stop-Button, and Play-Test again. If the gray screen persists after stopping, open a script and close the script.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Display
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Often
Date First Experienced: 2023-01-02 00:01:00 (+01:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2023-03-03 00:03:00 (+01:00)

35 Likes

Very common bug. Thanks for reporting this

4 Likes

An easier workaround for this is to open the toolbox and then close it.

1 Like

Or minimizing the Studio window and restoring it, works for me on Windows atleast (I do know this is a Apple device post - you can try)

2 Likes

Press and hold any docking screen, like explorer, keep holding until workspace re-appears after that just redock the screen you were holding earlier.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! Could you provide some logs, please?

1 Like

Confirmed on my Windows computer. I just open a new baseplate and hit play. Every now and then a gray screen appears.

3 Likes

Also experience this, another workaround is to maximize or minimize the studio window while there is a grey screen.

1 Like

I just grab the window and move it around and then it loads, then put it back into full screen

1 Like

I’ve sent you some logs via PMs on the DevForum.

1 Like

Just an update - on my windows PC the gray screen appeared for a second and then fixed itself for the last 4 days, although still occurred constantly on my macbook without fixing itself.

But since about 2 days ago, this has broken again on my PC - the gray screen does not fix itself -I have to end the playtest and restart again (or redock a window if it doesn’t go-away) So this hasn’t been fixed at all!

I experience this problem all the time. Easiest workaround is to open the Terrain Editor then closing it. Works every time for me.

1 Like

Happens extremely often on my Windows 11 device as well, sometimes it will happen multiple times in a row.

2 Likes

This happens to me so often. I’m hoping it gets fixed since its pretty annoying to deal with.

1 Like

Occurs on Windows 11 with Intel CPU too, for me it just occurs once in a while when I press play test and fixes itself after I restart the server.

I have been frankly dealing this for a while, but I used to run on Windows 10, which I constantly experienced window docking problems. Post-upgrade to Windows 11, completely halted. But this new gray-screen issue arose shortly after. My theory is that the Terrain Editor plugin could be the problem, as opening then closing the plugin fixes the issue. However, I could be wrong.

I am on windows, and I frequently experience this bug, The plugins I have created prints something as soon as they load, and I might guess it is a lag spike causing this.

1 Like

I have never used the terrain editor nor do I keep the widget open, so it is probably something else.

1 Like

This is happening every time I hit play, now.

Same issue here. I really hope they sort this one out.