Sunsetting Clans

Good change for us, but we’ve lost one of the old ROBLOX features again.
I hope this means we may get a group page update/feature soon.

RIP clans.

7 Likes

This is the right move. Clans these days are pretty useless and we’re mainly used to show seniority in groups. Space for a new feature maybe?

3 Likes

I remember them playing huge roles in events before, but now that leaderboards and player points are gone, I can see why it is being removed as it is pretty useless now.

3 Likes

I’ve always been confused over the concept of player points and clans. The way developers were given freedom to award as many or as little player points was confusing.

5 Likes

Finally waiting for this to happen they are useless in every way.

3 Likes

In my opinion it should’ve been done years ago when Player Points stopped being an important factor in most games.

4 Likes

If this means more time for Roblox group feature updates (like the group overhaul from Hack Week) then I’m totally fine with this. Can’t wait to see the upcoming new features :smile:

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off-topic and bump posts

Quite sad to see clans go, but hopefully this leads to better and more frequent updates from the Roblox Developers.

2 Likes

Sad to see Clans disappear but they weren’t used much and we’re getting refunded too which is good and unexpected. Hopefully a replacement will be added. Smart move Roblox.

2 Likes

Nice to see Roblox removing older features to streamline the experience.

2 Likes

Eh, clans were alright. Allowed for organization for non-warclanny stuff. All in all, I don’t really care.

2 Likes

I doubt it, it is probably nearly impossible if not impossible to track people who used to own groups and bought clans and stuff. It’s probably only refundable if you currently own a group with a clan intact.

2 Likes

I mean it’s still somewhat traceable so it’s possible for us to get refunded for groups we left a long time ago.

2 Likes

I think that removing clans makes sense giving the removal of Leaderboards and Player Points but I think that it would certainly be worth giving a thought to a new kind of way to make clans work but without points or group experience. For example if a group wants to showcase the founders or wants a way to direct members to a certain group of people I think a clan would be a good idea. But currently as addressed the system doesn’t have this so it’s basically the removal of clans won’t affect the system as it’s already gone. Although I’d like to see a new forum of clans in the future.

3 Likes

I totally forgot about clans! This is a good change. Hopefully more great things get put into place with the removal.

3 Likes

It’s a sad day today. :frowning:

While they aren’t useful currently, they were a potential tool that could’ve been used in the future. Sad to see them go.

4 Likes

This change wasn’t needed, but I’m not against it either (yes, I disagree with those of you saying “this was needed” - what’s your rationale for saying needed?).

Clans were simply an excess part of groups, like groups inside groups. They had some interesting value back during clan-based events or ones that utilised the clans features, but that’s it. I personally think that developer-implemented clans are much cooler, scalable, customisable and maintainable.

Player points and clans are an antiquated feature that isn’t used very frequently, so their removal shouldn’t truly affect anyone. Such features are already available at developer discretion in-game, so these were fairly redundant. Clans became sort of a “status-in-group symbol” once less games checked for clans.

Oh well. Didn’t really matter if they stayed or went, really.

9 Likes

Very glad to see these go. They haven’t had any actual purpose for quite some time now and to be perfectly honest, I never really understood what the point of them was to begin with. As others have pointed out, I’m glad to see that groups are getting some love again.

Au revoir, clans!

3 Likes

Not going to lie, I didn’t really know what clans were there for, but I suppose now I know. Hopefully this begins a new line of group updates, they could really use them as they’re becoming a major influence on the platform.

2 Likes