Sunsetting LinkedSource Scripts

Is this why when I first tried to make a package it didn’t work? I tried to make packages out of some folders and guis and it didn’t work, and then i tried making a package out of a model with a PrimaryPart and it worked perfectly fine.

edit: Just tried creating a package out of a script, and it worked.

4 Likes

The classic sword does not use LinkedSources anymore. There is a version of it that is up to current platform standards that is being used in place of LinkedSwords.

LinkedSwords in the first place are just models uploaded to the Roblox account. It wouldn’t matter what happens to them.

Okie Dokie. I doesn’t really matter to me, I made my own weapons anyways. Though I should know for my friends and other new devs. Thanks dude.

You don’t have to open that place to access the packages. Find “my packages” in your inventory in studio.

Also, LinkedScripts are terrible when it comes to efficiency. They are unreliable in the way that they have the chance to error when loading (depends on how many there are, how long the linked code is, etc.)

The last point is either a lie or a misconception.

I have 60+ linked sources in my game and the game hasn’t failed to load once.

Also, in order for updates to take place, you have to open up each place individually and publish EACH place. If this is somehow better than linked sources, please tell me how.

3 Likes

Is it just me or are lots of new things being released and old things being sunset? Never even knew what LinkedSource did.

I haven’t properly used studio for a project in 2 years now and I feel like if I don’t start soon, I won’t be able to. :joy:

Whilst I haven’t fiddled with packages yet, if what TheRings0fSaturn says about

and LinkedSource scripts auto-updating without the need for that, then I agree that either Packages should be given this feature or LinkedSource should stay as something still usable but possibly no longer updated? (By usable I mean also allowing new LinkedSources to be set or however its used)

3 Likes

Alr, it seems you manage linked scripts well :slight_smile: .
Errors might have been just my crappy old code every time :joy:.

Anyways, that is a valid point about publishing. However, I don’t think LinkedSources have been worked on lately by Roblox, meaning that might eventually break. The reason I say that is because Roblox often updates their code and their framework, and things often become bugged, even if temporarily.

You can work around this by making Modules saved to the cloud by using the MainModule method. That way, you can keep certain data updated without having to publish. To get the new data, just require() it.

Hope that can help you with future projects :slight_smile:

EDIT: I didn’t mean anything personal by debating you my guy. If I’m wrong, then that means I learn something!

Sup dude,

LinkedSources haven’t been updated in a while. See my reply for @TheRings0fSaturn to see what I am talking about :slight_smile:

That is not entirely true. Indeed some updates do have bugs, but they are usually minor and get fixed quickly (devconsole drag). More serious bugs are usually fixed as fast as possible, and that would also apply to LinkedSources ever breaking before they have been sunset.

The fact that roblox isn’t actively updating a specific feature doesn’t mean it’s going to break. Why would you ever think it works like that?

Sorry, I wasn’t that clear 'bout that.

When something is being sunsetted, they will fix it if it breaks before they are done sunsetting it. After the “sunset”, it will no longer be worked on, fixed, etc.

You may have had this brought to your attention: why not save only the scripts as packages in themselves? That way, you can store multiple sub-modules without having to copy them to the other linked scripts.

I’m going to be completely honest, I never had a need to use this but for some reason I had a use for packages beta… ok

It takes about five minutes for me to update a packaged script across my entire game, and it forcefully shuts down all my studio windows in the process. LinkedScripts update instantly and do not cause any interruption.

Packaged scripts are a objectively and painfully inferior service than Linked scripts, so I’ve been very upset that Linked scripts have been thrown out the door.

6 Likes

Not to mention things like this can still happen, making the place unable to publish or even save at all :confused:
I’ve also found that it’s actually faster to just manually open each place and run a command line script to select all packages and then use the right click submenu to update them all

I’m sorry that’s got to happen! Someone (perhaps me) could devise a plugin to reimplement the functionalities of linker scripts.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.