Sunsetting User Ads and improvements to Sponsored Experiences

It feels empty

9 Likes

Should have just added both, what was the point of removing something that was already working?

7 Likes

As Roblox changes from “Most Awesome Cyberpunk Thing and For Kids” to “Wow We Can Make So Much Money”; well, it changes.

It’s not the same thing it was. The first changes were improvements. I liked them. Studio got better. Coding got better. Still tons of problems, but things were improving.

Now it’s clear what is happening.
…
If your game is not profitable yet - you are using up server space and bandwidth.

If Roblox makes it hard for up and coming games to be seen, they funnel the same number of users to fewer games - saving on overhead but still selling the same amount of robux spent on only the highest earning games.

So by getting rid of the primary means of advertising for starting games, they cut down on moderation expenses for those ads, cut down on server space expense (including stuff like AC to cool the place, and workers to service it) and funnel their efforts to earning properties only.
but wait…THERE’S MORE !!!
How do you suppose the old ad space will be used?

Do you think it will remain empty?

Or do you think off-site advertisers will be for paying it now?

How many “Robux” did that ad space generate before?..and how much is that in dollars?
How many “USD Dollars” do you think that ad space will generate now that it can be used by companies selling steel drinking bottles and Ear Buds. A LOT LOT LOT more money. And in USD. So…
( Roblox currently has 70.2 million daily and over 216 million monthly active users . Whats that worth in ad revenue in those banner ads and skyscrapers?)
…

You see where things are going.

4 Likes

So I have a concern about this, I am a small developer and while I have never used the user ads feature in awhile, I have found it somewhat useful and did get a few more visits on one of my games that has since disappeared because of it. I normally do not get many players in my games that are activity playing and most of the time I still get zero players. I mainly rely on robux to pay for ads and I cannot pay real money. Im just wondering what the future of small devs like me are if user ads are permanently gone.

3 Likes

I could imagine where Roblox would start banning people for using an adblocker…

2 Likes

Man I love seeing scams take away peoples’ money! It’s almost like Roblox isn’t doing anything about this! 7 of the same game on the same page is crazy. W new advertising system Roblox!

11 Likes

horrible update, i literally grew my games community off of this, hope they change their mind.
Edit: they are probably removing this because their moderators can’t handle anything, nice job roblox, taking away a thing people love because you cant get your moderators to do work.

5 Likes

Why on earth would you make changes that completely kill paid access games? I’ve been developing a paid access game for almost 3 years full-time, and now how am I supposed to release it? It’s impossible for people to notice them without any advertising system! This is outrageous!

7 Likes

sounds lawsuit worthy, like how unity changed their sales model and then got roasted

5 Likes

When did this company get so greedy?

4 Likes

Back again, to just show how mad I am, I am going to show a picture of where I got most of my playerbase for some games, 2000 clicks, they joined a discord community and still support me. Unfortunately, its gone.
image_2024-06-27_225630846

2 Likes

cant imagine actually using that in 2024, the crypto/nft meta is dead already (and it was dumb af in the first place)

1 Like

It’s the end of times for small devs

2 Likes