Surface Orientation Indicator

Very nice to see this finally in studio by default. Now users don’t need a plugin to do this.

I’m a little confused by the design direction here though. The adornments are big and unnecessary. Do users really need handholding in the form of a big F to communicate “front” when there’s only two directions on screen?

3 Likes

How would you happen to disable the feature? I can’t find the option anywhere.

It does only show front/top. We played around a bit and found this was the least obtrusive way to show direction, and you can infer the other faces from it.

3 Likes

Have you already gone to a default baseplate and turned it off there?

I don’t have the option to disable it, at all.

1 Like

Instead of showing the indicator on all parts, It should show the indicator on the part you selected.

1 Like

Hey Fm_Trick! Sorry to hear you’re encountering that bug. Could you let me know what version of Studio you’re running? I’ll try to reproduce this issue and look into a fix. Thanks!

2 Likes

Currently, I’ve got the same situation here even though it’s up to date.

Looks like I’m at an older version - I thought studio would force an update in this case? How can I force an update without uninstalling studio entirely?

I can’t find the “Hide Orientation” action in the quick access bar customizer thingy, now it’s practically impossible to develop since it kills my GPU. Is there any other way of turning it off?

Do you have multiple studios open? That’s usually why I never get forced updates.

1 Like

You should most likely push out a force update due to the issue that most of the people have the feature but don’t have the disabling options for it. Personally this is the only solution I can think of currently.

3 Likes

Having an issue on hiding them even tho my studio is up to date

1 Like

Having this feature work by enabling it per-Instance seems really strange to me, as I rarely ever need a permanent orientation indicator onscreen outside of things I’m currently selecting/working with. I’m not going to use this in favor of the Studio Tweaks plug-in’s feature, which automatically shows an orientation indicator by just selecting things:

13 Likes

Yes, it seems like some people who haven’t updated yet are seeing those Studio-breaking bugs with the indicator. I apologize for that! For now, please try closing all instances of Studio and restarting it, and Studio should auto-download the latest version. We’ll still look into doing a force update or possibly reverting this for a moment as people get updated. Thanks for understanding everyone!

3 Likes

Yeah i have and the same issue very strange.

Could you restart Studio? This should be fixed with the latest version.

3 Likes

Alright, just a suggestion. Maybe make surface decals on it so it doesn’t like to interfere with every pointer. It would just be more helpful for me personally.

Could you try restarting Studio? This should be fixed in the latest version.

2 Likes

If you’re running an older version of studio and don’t want to reinstall you could :
1 - Open the shortcut displayed on your desktop background
2 - Open the studio installer from your downloads

I had to do the second option to just now which fixed the issue for me!

2 Likes