SurfaceAppearance Beta artifacts on strong normal maps and excessively weak normal maps otherwise on FBX meshes

The effect of normal maps on almost all of my meshes seems really disappointing compared to results some other developers are seeing, so I think something is wrong. In fact, normal information is almost fully invisible in plain sunlight, and jarring artifacts appear in Roblox on what are as far as I know, perfectly normal maps.

Provided is a UV mapped plane exported with tangent information with a few simple test normal maps, as well as a test mesh exported similarly. For the most extreme normal map I also get really hideous artifacts, which also happens on the other included test mesh.

This only happens for FBX meshes seemingly.

Diffuse and specular scale are both set to 1 and Technology is set to Future under Lighting. A skybox makes no difference.

SurfaceAppearanceNormalTest.rbxl (34,9 KB)

Plane.fbx (12,2 KB)
Rocks_Tangent.fbx (27,0 KB)

CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
GPU: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (MSI)

Meshes created with Blender.
Test normal maps generated with NormalMap-Online.
Textures for the rock generated with Substance Designer + Substance Painter.

High contrast normal map

Medium contrast normal map

Low contrast normal map

Normal map artifacts on a textured mesh

I think I should see much more more visible normal information here, but I don’t.

Note the artifacts around the pits/holes in the texture.

The metallic map is the same for both metallic and roughness on this example.

13 Likes

I am in the process of checking over bug reports and following up on some bugs that haven’t received any activity in a while.
Is this issue still occurring or can you confirm that this bug has been resolved?

If I reupload the mesh, yes it has been resolved.

1 Like

Perfect. Thanks for being patient. If this bug pops back up, please file a new bug so we can take a look.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.