SurfaceAppearance fades in Transparency AlphaMode

Issue Type: Display
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-02-12 00:02:00 (-05:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-02-22 00:02:00 (-05:00)

Reproduction Steps:
When opening the file, one of the trees render accordingly and the other is faded and transparent. Both have the same properties (duplicates).
There’s a reproduction file in the private message part of this.

Expected Behavior:
Both threes should render the same, preferably not transparent.

Actual Behavior:
One of the tree, which is a duplicate from days ago, renders transparently the further you move away.

Workaround:
If I copy over the surface appearance, it works for the length of the session. It doesn’t work the next time the place is opened, nor in play mode.

16 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

12 Likes

The same thing is happening to me. For me, when I go on Play mode, it appears transparent in Client view but normal on Server view.

Client:

Server:

These trees are from the Forest Pack on the free models announcements post from a few weeks ago by the way.

3 Likes

Same here. Hoping Roblox fixes this and other issues with SurfaceAppearance. The current issues really limit and slow down development for me and my team. Please look into this Roblox!

4 Likes

I experience this same issue, it really ruins the look of the map. From up close the trees look fine, but it seems like they get more transparent the further you get.

As you can see, the tree on the right looks nice, but the ones further away from the camera look semi-transparent. Here’s a zoomed-in example.

4 Likes

Experiencing this issue with the new Forest Pack that Roblox had announced themselves, and really just any tree using SurfaceAppearance in general.

3 Likes

Just wondering if there’s a fix out for this, or one planned atleast.

3 Likes

This is also happening to me, hoping for a fix soon. This issue is really destroying the look of my game.

2 Likes

Yeah same, server side it looks amazing, not too sure what’s causing it client sided

1 Like

I used photoshop and rounded the alpha channel to be opaque and it helped a bit. Distant textures are still see-through though:

There should be a way to enable hard edges on transparent textures. The fuzziness doesn’t look very good in a lot of cases.

I also have a problem where the normal map displays in edit mode but not in game:

5 Likes

It seems to be fixed now, at least in my game.

It was fixed for me as well but it just returned today, did the same happen for you?

This issue appears to be resolved for me.

Also experiencing the same issue with every map except the color map not appearing within my game as well.

Within Studio:

Within Game:

Have you found a solution to fix this? PBR works fine with other things within my showcase except for these palm trees and it throws off the whole theme.

Also, I mapped everything myself and have redone the maps to ensure it’s not an issue with what I created.

4 Likes

I had this problem as well, in the leaf surface appearance I removed the metalness map and it fixed it.

This is a bug where we’ve done the extra processing on your textures to make the PBR shading work and make the leaves appear “fuller” at a distance, but the processed data got lost by the time you next open the place in studio or play in-game. This is somewhat complicated - it seems to happen less often if you’re not using Packages or Team Create, though it can still happen in those cases. We have a fix for this, but it will take some time to release and make sure there aren’t any new problems.

8 Likes

Ah, thanks for letting me know!

1 Like

Hi , how long does it take to make surface appearance fully working ? The surface appearance is in regular roblox studio but their properties are strange and they are not working , they are not even working on roblox . Some developers have reported that they would like to use PBR in roblox games to make high quality graphics but the fact that it is still on test have really screw up their plans to enhance graphics quality .

1 Like

We enabled a fix for this on Monday and it appears to be stable. If your places have any SA Instances for foliage that “looks too thin” or anything that appears to lack PBR details in-game, you can fix this by opening the place in Studio (this will automatically detect any broken SA’s and fix them) and republishing. SA’s should no longer be getting stuck in this broken state, so republishing to fix this should be a one-time action.

Please let me know if you still see issues.

8 Likes

Hello! Does anyone still have issues with this bug? If not, I will close it…