SurfaceAppearance Studio Beta [Released]

This is fantastic truly a new era for roblox graphics. I must say

2 Likes

We definitely want to satisfy layering use cases in the future, but we don’t know what form that will take yet.

6 Likes

The issue was actually with the EnvironmentDiffuseScale. Thanks for the tip tough, I never realized my edit quality levels were on automatic. Now there’s definitely some proper anti-aliasing going on.

12 Likes

I must know how to do that realistic sword blade! I’m new to this feature, can someone teach me how to make a shiny sword like that?

2 Likes

I can’t even express what I’m feeling right now, its almost like Roblox is starting to become something thats not even Roblox anymore. It feels like these games should be coming out of something like Unreal Engine. Stunning work, can’t wait to see what comes out of this.

2 Likes

That’s good to hear. I’ve been putting resources into new PBR dragon models, and players really want color customization and scale patterns / colorable face paint they can layer:

Players love face paint customization; I currently use a SpecialMesh and Decal to achieve this, but it would be great to be able to specify what order the textures composite in so there can be more types of options.

The ability to layer a PBR texture like this would be very cool:

A case to keep in mind is when many identical SurfaceAppearance / layers are used and would benefit from a flyweight-like design. It would be great to be able to cheaply control MeshPart / SpecialMesh groups that all use the same texture layers, although we may be able to get away with fewer parts once vertex deformation is live. Perhaps a new data type that encapsulates texture maps, with it being possible for it to express layers of textures in the future would cover everything.

It may be hard to achieve good performance with so many high resolution textures, so it might be a good idea to look into something like this:

If the client is struggling to keep up with all of the PBR textures and compositing, it could instead become progressively less pixelated (instead of appearing gray while it downloads the entire texture.)

27 Likes

Really good update. transformed my hand painted helmet into a metalic pbr texture and its doing the job correctly !

my only suggestion for this is to split metalness/roughness scales instead of having them both in one single specular scale property. this can be a problem for a huge game with multiple asset styles as metalness/roughness values can change depends on the asset.
normals depth would be a cool feature to add as well.

Screenshot_1496

15 Likes

That’s so cool lol. Looks even better than if it was just imported to roblox itself. Definitely a good update for that cause.

1 Like

rock

mesh made by someone else

17 Likes

That looks so cool, are you planning on making a suit for it?

1 Like

Can you no longer modify the roughness and metalness scale manually like in the avatar evolution build? Is it limited to maps only now?

2 Likes

Sadly, it seems so. I really was hoping for normal map strength too, because it’s usually not enough.

3 Likes

Can’t wait for this to go out of Beta!
Question:
Does this impact the framerate in games? Will this update have potential to lag players or worsen the games’ performance whatsoever?

5 Likes

this is a beta release. not full release. its probably coming out when its fully released

2 Likes

Over time Roblox has been updating and bringing in new technology to make sure another person doesn’t call Roblox a “Lego Game”.
Love the update, amazing as usual!

5 Likes

I’m hyped for normal maps. No more wasting vertices on what can be mapped!

6 Likes

It is better than better ?
Yes !
ITS BETTER THAN THE REAL LIFE !!!

3 Likes

Wow! This surely is amazing.
Combining this with Future Lighting will make Roblox realistic!
I don’t think some 2007 players will recognize roblox today!

We aren’t lego builders anymore :wink:

9 Likes

Exactly what is bothering me. I have parts that need different reflection and this option is really needed

3 Likes

This update seems pretty cool. Can’t wait to use it.

If only my PBR materials got through moderation. It’s not like I need rounds and rounds of testing on images before I get it right. I AM SO GLAD that we don’t have to wait for moderation and can directly use our local images directly in studio. It makes development so much more quicker.

P.S if you didn’t get, you have to go through moderation it takes forever. I’m very disappointed. Is there any plans on letting us use local images and then allowing us to choose when to upload it to Roblox? Compared to other engines it takes years to get it right. Would it be better to simply modify studio manually for this behavior?

4 Likes