SurfaceAppearance Studio Beta [Released]

The texture picker drop down doesn’t work right now. We’re working on a fix. For now you need to paste the asset ID into the property field.

10 Likes

This is literally the most exciting thing that has happened all summer

1 Like

This is one of the best features so far I’d say.

2 Likes

This is a huge game changer. I can’t wait to see this in action, along with using it in my own projects!

1 Like

You cannot use quixel scans outside Unreal Engine without a subscription.

5 Likes

I have to second this. Quixel and Epic Games have a strict terms of service and I very strongly discourage this illegal activity. @so1ehee Your choices are yours, but please, do not recommend others on this forum to do anything against the law, especially something that involves stealing assets worth possible thousands of USD a year.

Megascans is an amazing resource, and I’ve been attempting to make an unofficial plugin from Quixel Bridge to Roblox and the plugin developer for Quixel has been very kind to help me, but if you want to use Megascans, it’s better to legally purchase it.

Edit: It’s good to know there is a lot of free resources out there, check out this link:

11 Likes

My bad I don’t know how this work and by the way thank you for the information

1 Like

Will there be support for the recoloring and layering of multiple SurfaceAppearances? Inclusive skin tone options and layered textures for character customization are absolutely necessary for creating social experiences.

9 Likes

I 100% agree, but the implementation of this feature is probably large, being the fact they are already behind on the roadmap which includes features which will advance the workflow for PBR texturing, I’d guess that features like recoloring would take a long time. This is a flashy update, but I am afraid it may not be ready for full use in games just yet.

1 Like

I just want to make sure that the API is designed in a way where recoloring/layering can be added in the future.

Edit: Being able to pack layers into a single SurfaceAppearance might be a design that scales better for this (instead of requiring the engine to collect and process all SurfaceAppearance children for each MeshPart/SpecialMesh.)

5 Likes

My textures won’t load, no matter what i try, is this a known bug?

1 Like

Damn, other game engines need to step up their game.
Roblox makes them all look like literal trash.

2 Likes

Anyone else experiencing extremely weak normal maps when you add it to the mesh? Plus the mesh is red for some reason.I work in Blender and Substance Painter .

20 Likes

This is extremely exciting; I can definitely assure that Roblox will become one step closer to look the same as nature in the real world. Great, amazing, phenomenal, superb!

4 Likes

I play on iPad, and if the games are optimized well I can play them. Hell, my iPad can handle Arsenal, jailbreak, and others. Sometimes though the games on which I do lag don’t make sense. Soro’s Restaurant, the Grand Mosque, I have to aim my camera at the floor just to keep my frame rate usable,even on my laptop. Of course turning down the graphics helps a little too, but I don’t like to do that. Anybody know why that happens? Anyway, I’m pretty sure that as long as your game is optimized well you’ll be fine. Otherwise, there will be no point as all the tablet/mobile users will just have to turn the graphics down, thus defeating the purpose.

6 Likes

Probably just play your game on mobile/tablet and find out. or if you don’t have those, ask a friend to do it and have them record gameplay.

2 Likes

Either Soro’s and the other laggy games have really bad optimization or the games that run smoothly have really good optimization.

2 Likes

I quickly drew over some roughness/normals on my models and I noticed that when you zoom in the normal map seems to lose detail? On purpose I maxed out my normal strength and imported it into Roblox to see what would happen

Maxed out normal map in 3D coat

??? Am I doing something wrong here?
Comparison between 3D coat and Studio, I replicated the lighting setup as best as I could

I obviously don’t expect studio to capture every single detail but there seems to be a pretty large detail drop
Also the fully textured model in 3D coat for anyone curious

27 Likes

I’m also experiencing corruptions with some of my MeshParts and textures. I prefer not to post any images of my affected project, but I’m basically seeing textures turn red like this for some reason.

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure optimization is the problem, because if it wasn’t, why would the popular games like Arsenal and Jailbreak not lag. Also fyi I think my ipad is an Ipad Air 2, not sure lol.

3 Likes