Surfacegui wrapping around head meshes

I had a really cool idea on how to make facial animation on roblox, complete with eyes, eyebrows, and lips that sync with speech, everything planned out, however I ran into 2 problems.

1. Surfaceguis glowing in the dark
    2. Surfaceguis not wrapping around head meshes

I’m sure it wouldn’t be too inefficient in terms of performance, so I think everyone would benefit from this feature.

4 Likes

Some people like this. Good for lights… until we get Neon.

SurfaceGuis were really not meant to Wrap like decals.

1 Like

Some people like this. Good for lights… until we get Neon…[/quote]

It should be toggleable

SurfaceGuis were really not meant to Wrap like decals.[/quote]

Why not? In my opinion its an oversight.

I’ve run into many things that had to be abandoned because they do not wrap on surfaces.

One of the things I was making was a giant curved animated billboard, but I instead had to make it flat like every other game on ROBLOX because surface GUIs are currently constrained in what you can do with them.

Yeah – Billboard/SurfaceGuis should both have a affectedByLighting property and SurfaceGuis should have a wrapToParent property.

2 Likes

GUIs aren’t affected by lighting. That’s the reason why they don’t get affected by lighting, even when adorned to a 3D object.

However, I do agree, wrapping to meshes would be cool. Only problem is, mouse detection would be harder.

They don’t really emit any light, it’s more that being GUI elements, they lack any form of lighting.

No, this was a very deliberate non-implementation of an overly complex feature that would yield almost nothing useful in return.

They don’t really emit any light, it’s more that being GUI elements, they lack any form of lighting.

No, this was a very deliberate non-implementation of an overly complex feature that would yield almost nothing useful in return.[/quote]

Any possibility you’d look at ImageRectSize and Offset for Decals, as well as the ability to change if a part/decal is affected by lighting?

Parts unaffected by lighting will be [0,0,0] black, are you sure you want that?

Parts unaffected by lighting will be [0,0,0] black, are you sure you want that?[/quote]

Sorry, I should have made myself a little bit more clear. I meant that they would be block colored, IE Really Red would appear on all surfaces as 255, 0, 0 regardless of lighting affecting it. It could be achieved by rendering it at the same time 3D GUI objects are I would imagine?

Parts unaffected by lighting will be [0,0,0] black, are you sure you want that?[/quote]

Sorry, I should have made myself a little bit more clear. I meant that they would be block colored, IE Really Red would appear on all surfaces as 255, 0, 0 regardless of lighting affecting it. It could be achieved by rendering it at the same time 3D GUI objects are I would imagine?[/quote]

Second this, I know Neon sort of does this but the downside is that from zeuxcg’s (sorry if I spelled that wrong) demo of it it emits a light aura which is not necessary or preferable visually in all cases. I want glowing parts for things like crystals in caves or light tubes or lava, things that are so bright in itself that it seems to ignore any light influence. This can be done by spam surface GUI’ing but it’s a hassle (and maybe performance-choking?) when there could just be an IgnoreLight (like how woot3 describes) property for BaseParts. I didn’t think of an IgnoreLight property for Decals but that would be excellent too for texturing the crystals/lava/light tubes/lit floors.

I imagine mesh-wrapping Surface GUI’s may be a killer to do, there would need to be a really clear and strong want for it. If not, it probably won’t done soon enough so I’d look for alternate methods Stealth.