Survival Game Devlog 4

UPDATE 4
I have been working on a survival game over the summer. This game is inspired by games like Minecraft, Muck, Terraria, etc. I have been working on an update for a little over a month. The main thing I have been working on is reworking the inventory system to be more like Minecraft or Raft. I also updated some models and code already existing in the game. Any feedback on my game is appreciated.

New Features:

• New inventory and management system
  • Added new crafting system
  • Added UI for health bar, energy bar, and pick up interactions
  • New furnace and smelting system
  • New particle Effects
  • New sound effects
  • 7 new building objects

Fixes/Changes

• Reworked how you pick up/interact with objects
  • Reworked tools
  • Improved resource models
  • Improved Item models
  • Slight changes to building system

If you want to try the game for yourself, a test place is open.

Game keybinds:

• Inventory (Tab)
  • Sprint (leftshift)
  • Pickup (E)
  • Drop Item (X)
  • Use (Mouse1)
  • Parry/Use2 (Mouse2, only works for certain items)

Game link: Survival Game Testing Game Link

Development Videos: Youtube Devlog playlist

Previous development post: Survival Game Update 3

4 Likes

This game looks GREAT so far! I like the UI! Nice job on it! How long did it take you to create this survival game so far?

1 Like

I love it!
So far I’d say everything is looking pretty good!
My only suggestion would be making the UI look less cartoonish as I personally dont think it matches the build style of the game, other than that, looking good, keep up the good work and I look forward to the next devlog!
~ Frodev

1 Like

i do think your game sounds good, but the ui is too cartoonish and i guess basic

oh yeah and it looks exactly like muck

1 Like

Looks really good, how did you make the terrain?

1 Like

@FroDev1002 @Happypigbaconalt

Yes the UI is basic but It makes it easier to set up with scripts. I might try to improve the UI later but I like what I have right now. How do you suggest I make the UI less basic/cartoonish?

Most of the models in my game are inspired by and based off of Muck (and I guess the entire game right now lol). The furnace is basically a replica. I plan to update the models in the future but I’m not very good with blender.

2 Likes

to make it less cartoonish i would

1: make the rounded edges smaller, or just entirely remove then.

2: add a paper backround texture to make it look scrappier and more “survivorsish”, if you need a paper backround here are 2 different ones:

the paper images

asset ID: 17426538886

examplepaper
asset ID: 132770859

also, 100% change the font, it does not look like a survival game font at all. also, use some ui gradients and strokes on the health bar and the main ui too. and i wouldnt base a survival game that much off of muck, muck is fun, but whenever i play it it doesnt play anything like a survival game, more like a boring version of minecraft

edit: i played your game, i would change the models, like ALL of them, im not sure what your going for, but if its supposed to be realisitic then youll need better models, especially the trees. the inventory ui is very confusing and the workbench recipe should not be its own thing. it should go with all the other recipes.

1 Like

I do not plan to make my game realistic because I like the simple low poly style and because I’m not skilled enough to make something look realistic. I liked the art style of muck and that’s what I’m going for. The reason the workbench is a separate recipe is because you don’t have access to a crafting menu without any work stations. I will add a workbench recipe to the dedicated crafting menu.

I will try to incorporate UI Gradients, Strokes, and textures into the UI. The Font I have right now is easy to read and that’s why I have it.

I take muck as an inspiration for the art style and I want the gameplay to be more similar to Terraria. Thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes