Survival Game Inventory System

I have been working on an inventory system for my survival game for the past 2 weeks. This inventory system is based off of Muck, Raft, and Minecraft’s inventory systems. I have a video demonstrating how the inventory system works. Any feedback on it is appreciated. I might make this place public for anyone to try out.

Inventory Demo Video

Features:

• Picking up items
  • Dropping items
  • Equipping items
  • Stacking
  • Inventory Management
  • Crafting

Links:
Inventory Demo Vid
Survival game video series
Previous Devforum post

1 Like

Hello. This looks really nice and accomplished. I’m a really new scripter and I want to make a similar inventory GUI. Do think you could help me, perhaps teach me or give me advice on this? If you’re interested, I’ll send you my Discord user. Thanks in advance.

This inventory system is not the most beginner friendly but I can point you in the right direction. All of the data that stores which items are in which slots is housed under the player object. I made a main folder which stores everything, then I made a folder for each slot in the inventory. When you pick up/move an item, it gets placed into a slot folder. There is 1 local script to handle the Gui and player inputs and the serverscript to verify everything and to actually do the action (because local scripts only make changes on your computer, not on everyone elses). The gui is basically linked to the inventory folder housed under the player. When picking up items, I use mouse.Target to determine what your mouse is over, and if it’s an item then to prompt you to pick it up. Dropping items is checking if you click a certain button (in my case it’s “X”), then to take the item out of your inventory and placing in front of you in the workspace. Inventory management is taking an item out of the slot and placing into another slot folder. Equipping items is taking the item out of the inventory and placing it under your character. If you have an other questions you can DM on the forums.

a

1 Like

Alright I’m taking notes. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

This inventory system looks very good! Great job on it! I like the style of it! How long did it take for you to make this entire survival game inventory system?