Take Screenshots In-Game and Display Them In-Game

(Not to be confused with this: API for taking screenshots ingame)

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to take screenshots in-game. I wish there was a way for us developers to be able to choose a CFrame, and then take a screenshot of what a camera would see if it was there. We would be able to use the image in-game, like on decals, image labels, and anything else that displays images.

Preferably, we would be able to choose the size of the image in pixels, this way we can display it in various places throughout the game and not have to worry about nasty image stretching and whatnot.

This feature would also be useful for me if I could have a whitelist of items to render. This way, I can render only a player’s character or only a specific item or something.

Use Cases
The biggest use case for me personally is to display an image of a player’s character in my game. Since it looks different from what it does on the website, it would be strange to show their website avatar instead of their custom one in my game.

Some more use cases I could think of:

• Taking screenshots of certain moments in the game to show to players, like when someone wins.

• Showing an image of a place in-game without manually taking screenshots.

• Automatically making thumbnails for tools and other items without the hassle of uploading them as models or applying chroma effects to screenshots of them.

• Create an automatically updated world map to show players where they are.

I’m sure others have even better use cases that they would like to share :wink:

25 Likes

I think the title is a bit misleading here, as it implies that you currently can’t take screenshots while in-game.

2 Likes

Good point, what would you recommend?

“Allow for more customizability with screenshots in-game by enhancing the current Camera system”

Probably could be said better, but I think it’s more informative

I changed it to something simpler and less misleading.

1 Like

This is something I think I’ve read here before, but I still support it. Most people don’t even know how to get avatar images. I’m sure someone would love to make a camera with this.

I’m just gonna update this and say I still want this even though viewport frames are a thing. They aren’t ideal for images since they are extremely aliased and don’t render with any lighting.

1 Like

I am aware that this is an old feature request, but I would still love to see this added.

Here’s my use case:
I have a game called “RoVille” where players can build houses and upload them to a user-generated marketplace when other players can buy and sell their properties. It works perfectly except for the fact that in order to preview the houses, the entire house needs to be loaded in viewportFrames which is quite bad for performance especially since the front page of the marketplace has to load previews for several houses. Using screenshots instead of loading several entire houses on the client as previews would be much more efficient.

6 Likes