Taking Action on Copies of Roblox-Created Limiteds

Thank you! I am EXTREMELY angry and sick of all of these blatant knockoffs in the marketplace!:imp::pray::100::fire:

7 Likes

Itā€™s been a long time coming for this announcement. Time and time again have I been saying that a step up in moderation is needed. Consistency in UGC moderation needed a total overhaul. Some UGC items havenā€™t been taken down, even ones from when UGC was first released, while others have and are more recent. Itā€™s been affecting the Roblox trading community ever since the introduction of UGC as well. The rarity of Roblox-created limiteds should remain wholesome as it was intended before UGC was released back in 2019. UGC is meant for creativity and to show off new user generated accessories, not to create ripoff or ā€œfake limitedā€ accessories of old Roblox-created assets.

9 Likes

Awesome! Glad to see some great changes are taking place soon.

I hope this update is implemented in a way that prevents bots from spam-reporting existing items, though.

5 Likes

This is very good news to hear!

Protecting users virtual collectibles value is definitely very important.
More so as the UGC program continues to expand.

I imagine many content creators would like to know what exactly is meant by ā€œoverly similarā€.
There needs to be more clarity regarding the tolerance of items that are classed as too similar.

There are still many UGC items that have had no action taken and or have been taken off-sale but not removed from the platform.

8 Likes

Thank you Roblox! This is huge, although it would be nice to get some clarification on what is and isnā€™t a copy due to Roblox every blue moon making a very simple item limited. EX: SQL Bandana

5 Likes

Only 4 years late on thisā€¦ lets see how well this actually works and turns out. Hopefully for the better.

8 Likes

Ok Iā€™ve got a question, what would the difference be if its not a copy of an item but instead inspired by an item and might be similar but not really the same.

Like for example I seen once a valk like item but it was still different from the Roblox valks.

Would items inspired by items but still different looks and shapes be ok?

Sometime I want to give UCG a try, I got some ideas but some are inspired by items, one in particular is something I would want for myself.

6 Likes

AMAZING!

This might have relation to some of these Fake Limitedā€™s being bought back up before, but content deleted, maybe theyā€™re going to keep an extra eye out on the creators who have uploaded these items from now on.

5 Likes

Rare Roblox W if you ask me! Canā€™t wait for the younger kids crying about this when they loose their 5 Robux fake Limited. LOL

6 Likes

Cool to know as someone who is considering entering the UGC Program, at least Roblox is doing something about it.

Can something also be done about these ā€˜accesoriesā€™ that are basically just a PNG that you could make in like 30 seconds?

Examples of said thing:

10 Likes

UGC copies of Roblox limiteds pop up very often and are no doubt a huge problem in the marketplace, thankful that this is being addressed especially before the full release of UGC limiteds.
Having over 20m+ in Roblox limiteds theres been times these copies have affected the actual Roblox limited and made them drop in price a lot (for example, Subarctic Commando which went from a value of 640k all the way down to 280k due to the Everest Hood UGC item) so this change is very welcome.

6 Likes

Holy based, hope you guys can manage to follow through with this in a consistent and fast manner cause thatā€™s probably my biggest concern when it comes to the ugc program overall, especially when you have plans to give users the ability to create ugc limiteds. Hopefully the limited market doesnt crash when that comes LOL

6 Likes

glad to see more effort being put towards this and looking forward to changes! wonder how detection is gonna work

as i saw stated before though, im pretty worried that some more generic/less known limiteds risk being subject to these standards in the same way something like a dominus is

4 Likes

Good idea, but vague on how this will be executed and where the line is drawn between limited copies and just ā€œsimilarā€ items. I doubt much will change, Roblox has demonstrated they are incapable of quickly and accurately moderating content.

4 Likes

Finally Roblox is listening to us granted itā€™s a bit late and damage is already done. I am sure though as many others are that this is a good idea and 1 step to getting our trust back.

I hope they continue to do good things in the future

3 Likes

This is probably the best thing that couldā€™ve come from this! :tada:

5 Likes

This is a great change. The UGC program should be used to spark creativity and bring unique items to the marketplace, instead of copying items for quick money.

3 Likes

When you say,

Will we receive a refund with the amount of robux we spent on that item? I am asking this since the last couple of times I have been refunded, I havenā€™t been given back the amount I have purchase the item for.

5 Likes

Very good that steps are being taken to remove such accessories and content from the marketplace and hope that this will greatly reduce incentives to do so in the future. My main question is where would Roblox draw the line in terms of what will be considered ā€œcopiesā€ of limiteds and not just general accessories. A black fedora for example would almost always look somewhat similar to ā€œThe Classic ROBLOX Fedoraā€ even if it was never the intention of the creator to make a copy of such accessory.

If the line isnā€™t drawn carefully and clearly, I feel like many accessories (which some may argue as looking like generic limiteds) may be unfairly scrutinized and removed. Reducing how players will be able to dress up and express their avatars as.

5 Likes

Planning to apply sometime soon. Can we have more information on how Roblox decides to remove people from the program for breaking rules such as copying limiteds? Is there e.g. a rolling window strike system to determine if people are intentionally doing it, or have made a mistake (e.g. simply accidentally producing something too similar to a particularly generic limited item)? How is good or bad faith and a decision determined in this situation?

6 Likes