Taking Action on Copies of Roblox-Created Limiteds

I disagree with UGC creators being unable to make their own takes on the designs of some limited items. Many of these older items would look better with an updated and/or alternate art style by a ugc creator. Allowing creators to create competing designs means that the prices of these limiteds will go down to their actual worth rather than an inflated worth based only on the rarity of the item.

Blocking strict copies is a good idea of course.

7 Likes

As a ugc creator, I am so happy about this news :sob: I am so tired of seeing such low effort clear copies of limiteds being in the catalog.
Thank you roblox :pray:

4 Likes

This is a good first step, but are there any plans on taking action against items that are low quality? I know weā€™ve had quite a few low quality items in the past (as well as items promoting gambling websites if Iā€™m correct), and this effectively ruins the reputation of the whole program.

4 Likes

Thank you for making the platformā€™s stance on this topic clear. This is a positive move that should reduce the amount of opposition to the program.

It would be nice to see additional clarification regarding what constitutes a ā€œcopy.ā€ Stylistic similarity? Physical similarity? Are items of similar form but different color considered to be a copy? Will UGC creators still be penalized if they did not to intend to copy an existing item?

4 Likes

I would also like to see some transparency regarding this. Thereā€™s a lot of accessories that are low-effort (png cutouts), have bad geometry/shading, etc. It would be nice if we could see some sort of comprehensive quality assurance.

4 Likes

good start

now when will the anime faces and all the other stuff infringing on copyright go

3 Likes

About detecting copies - I hope it isnā€™t just an AI detecting keywords in the title or description of the items, but a team of community members or moderators knowledgeable in the entire catalog of Roblox-Created Limiteds who can easily identify if an item is attempting to copy another item.

3 Likes

Glad to see that this is being addressed! Iā€™ve made a post about my concerns previously on this issue

2 Likes

According to the terms of use ā€œRobux do not have any value in real currency, which means they are not a substitute for real currency and they donā€™t earn interestā€.

There is no real world value attached to limiteds, as robux earned from selling limiteds cannot be devexed and only used on other cosmetics, and limiteds cannot be sold for real world money.

It is healthier in the long term for the roblox trading and limited system if items values are based mostly on their actual aesthetic worth rather than mostly as a secondary form of currency whose value is based on their rarity and the ability to trade them up or down for ā€œupgrading and downgradingā€.

4 Likes

I have like 120 hats I made 4 years ago can I use those or no?

3 Likes

Great to know that the UGC program is being improved, and the creators can not upload copies of items on or off the platform. However, will this expand to classic clothing as well, and include not just copies, but other bypassed stuff? This could include ā€œabsā€ bypasses, copies of similar clothing, racial slurs, etc. This may help clean up the Avatar Shop a lot better as Roblox continues to expand.

2 Likes

I am not a UGC creator (and never will be as I donā€™t 3D model, I only code), but this seems like an AMAZING update! I hate fake UGC items. Iā€™ve been playing Roblox for 10 years, and seeing fake UGC items like this honestly blows my mind how these people even got in the UGC program.

Please go and ban all these fake UGC items!

3 Likes

Thanks for the transparency. I believe everyone on Roblox wants UGC creators that share their imagination rather than merely chase for money. This has been happening for months, weā€™ve seen action being taken, and this announcement made everything clear.

And I am sure every one of us want a clean marketplace. We want originality, creativity and something amazing to wear. We donā€™t want copies, cheap ripoffs or boxes. This is one of the few good announcements Roblox has made recently, but it shows that they sometimes do listen to us.

2 Likes

I hope that now there will be a better system of rooting out the scummy developers who trick UGC creators into uploading fake limiteds

Because I havenā€™t seen one of them get into trouble, they get creators banned and run off with the money.
Then they just go find more creators

6 Likes

Limiteds are an investment of sorts, so I think youā€™re always being held liable to possible loss when it comes to them. However, I believe Roblox should do their fair minimum to help reduce copies of existing limiteds which has been shown to make items crash short-term. Long term, it appears even with the copies so far, these items do mostly rebound, but they definitely have a noticeable negative influence on an itemā€™s worth.

Limiteds can actually have quite a lot of real worth, as robux itself does too (even outside of black marketing, which is a huge problem in itself - high demand items sell for thousands quite often), they can even be worthwhile investments if you hold them and sell them again (either through devexable funds or on catalog) for robux to use later, such as reinvesting into a game. Limited growth in the past few years on about every single item is pretty insane.

Roblox does have quite a collection of rare items too (and rare investors), and while I think it may inevitably suffer some loss since UGC limiteds can have rares as well, itā€™s a good idea to get rid of close copies here too.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s great to know about UGC program is improved from taking action on copies, and most of them creators cannot be deleted, the people are program but made limited about copying for valuable item, but thereā€™s more it seems like UGC items program about taking of copies limited, look like about quality of UGC program on catalog, and so many talking about great changes will be rolling out and another doing sometimes.

And mostly all about good portion of the items that taking action copies roblox limited are group to be recognize about created before published to the Marketplace and some point are porgram settings for group holder about more action of limited.

I guess they some more updates coming soon for possibly, but great update about it for community program are people with limited which was then taken copies of yourself, but its goes on, it shows to be recently and UGC program creators are people made limited of accessory but people so many UGC upload for more option items and should involved taking action about UGC creators for it.

3 Likes

Time for some action. UGC Creators has to ā€œthink before makingā€, because Iā€™ve seen some copies on popular limiteds.

3 Likes

I imagine it would be allowed since its not technically copying the actual limited item.

1 Like

Thank god itā€™s here we need originality in the marketplace.

1 Like

There are some limited items like the Red Bandana of SQL Injection that @INT_L mentioned that are really basic that makes any ugc creator able to make a Red Bandana without knowing that they indirectly copied it. Other limited faces such as Mick Mcann have just two shamrocks on the face. Any UGC creator wanting to put out St. Patrickā€™s items could make a shamrock face accessory which resembles the limited face without even knowing they did it. There has to be something done about this as someone ugc creators could use " the item is so basic that I didnā€™t know that I copied it" line whether they intentionally did it because the item had only basic features or not.

2 Likes