Target audience of the forum is not specific enough, introduce tactical barriers for entry

It didn’t have to be either of those either. New developers who are actually interested in developing should be welcome as well. Also what you quoted literally says afterwards

to automatically be promoted to a certain rank

e.g. promote them to TL2 right away since they are more likely to be mature if they have devexed

1 Like

I disagree, getting an OK in devex doesn’t mean that they are mature. We should look through few of their posts before deciding whether they are mature or not.

1 Like

Do you use the translator portal on the site? Roblox can use that to determine you are a developer.

If you don’t, it’s going to be very hard for Roblox to automatically figure out you are a developer. I recommend putting some suggestions down on how that could be automated for developers like yourself instead.

The bullet list in the first post is a suggestion. Please don’t interpret it as my personal wishlist for what this should look like down to the letter – they are just suggestions.

3 Likes

I full-heartedly agree.

I enjoy occasionally dropping into the forums to help beginners out with development questions, however, it has recently gotten to the point where I have simply given up due to how rudimentary and “attention seeking” some of the posts are. If that is not the case, people are dying to offer advice on subjects they are not well versed in simply to seem credible or boost their forum stats.

I’m glad they disabled post-approval requirements for member because quite literally it was asking forum users to make-up reasons to post to the more important parts of the forum so they could be “promoted”

I agree with you that offloading a lot of non-developer related content could help solve some of the unwanted forum traffic, however the key thing you mentioned is absolutely the personal information requirements. I don’t believe that personal Dev-Ex numbers should be used as an access requirement as that discourages newer-yet-serious developers from equal opportunity forum access - however nearly every other massive platform requires your real name and age to be considered a “partner” or certified developer and in certain cases even forces you to verify it via government ID such as Epic Games.

I hope they take a serious look at the forums and revise it in the coming months.

1 Like

Imo, It just made developers not use this site… Ever… All it is is users s**tposting and trolling with nonsense. Users getting in and spamming the wrong categories. Less genuine help from users due to the spam of smaller devs replying to your post with nonsense or things like “I don’t know, but…” and not taking the forum as seriously as they should to make it a reliable site to actually make developing easier. I’d rather it just be private and elite with developers who intend to help being able to post and reply and having other users be able to view it and not post unless approved.

3 Likes

But does it mean we have to keep everything under lock and key? You should know every forum faces the issue of badposting and all. The only solution is how to control it, not keep it under lock and key.

Please stay on-topic, none of this is relevant to my post. Go rant elsewhere.

5 Likes

This is a good concept, but storing the data begs the question.

I’m super late to the party, but I disagree. I discovered a passion for developing because of the DevForum, and most of your ideas stop that from happening. The Devforum is fine as it is in my opinion.

1 Like

Just in case this wasn’t clear, if this suggestion is pursued, the forum would still be entirely public for viewing (all info available to anyone, even if logged out), and there would still be ways to automatically be promoted based on forum time without meeting any special requirements. The suggestion is to make it easier for people who are already developing on Roblox or are game developers off-platform to come and participate.

4 Likes

Powering imagination and helping less experienced people to pursue game development has, and I hope will always be, Roblox’s main core values. These ideas directly collide with these principles. I personally think that the developer forums are better than ever and reflect the site well. More developers are coming to the site, which means more games are being made, which means more people need help and are able to give help.

I think this really speaks from the soul of the platform:

I’m very happy to hear this response, and wanted to say that I completely agree. The developer forum should be as inviting as possible, making it an easy and streamlined process for people to join into the community.

I see a lot of people talking about “non-developers” coming to the forums and making “low-effort” topics. I don’t really understand why these are preventing people from using the forums, but anyone is free to explain. For the whole “non-developer” thing, I mean all I can say on that is that nobody is born a developer, and the forums are a great place to become a developer. As for low-effort topics, I honestly just ignore them, they’re no different from low-effort YouTube videos, or games, or reddit posts.

That’s really all I have to say on the topic, I support the open-platform vision.

2 Likes

If you’ll notice, the increasing number of low-quality posting by non-developers entering the Developer Forum, it outnumbers or sometimes gets attention, in making the Developer Forum more into a public forum, people would rather talk about trash rather than development, and keep in mind the new generation of forum members are some not really developers, and they’d start the issue of a public forum again.
This completely breaks the Developer Forum’s goal of being a Developer Forum, and letting in non-Developers who aren’t really focusing on development only on a forum for them to trash is something that they shouldn’t be supporting.
I’m also honestly disgusted by the fact that when #lounge was proposed to be opened for Members, a category to talk about everything aside development, people tend to justify to open it up, but they don’t even realize that this is a Developer Forum, opening that up would only cause people to come here to use that category, not to mention there’s already Discord or other communication platforms, and people come in with absurd excuses for that to be opened just for their own benefit in using this forum as a public forum not a Development Forum.

I support this, however, there should still be harder restrictions not on forum access, but on rule imposing of the Developer Forum, more and more rules are sometimes broken, and even the #development-discussion has lost it’s proper standing as a development discussion category, it became a category for people to talk about useless junk, and the Developer Engagement Team, is having more and more posts to remove because of the flags, and as the number of these increase, they even loosen up a bit on strict rule imposition over the quality of posting in that category.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by “talk about trash” and “talk about useless junk” could you give some examples and elaborate a bit so I can understand better? Sorry, I’m just not sure what posts you’re talking about.

I think you seriously cherry picked that reply as well as the OP. Jed even acknowledged that content sorting was something that can be improved upon:

“Ignoring” is not the solution, and is much less of a solution when these topics come in big quantities. Yes, nobody is born a developer but I think the point is that the dev forum should disincentivize <13 users and users who have no interest/passion for developing from joining, as they are less likely to contribute to the forum.

Currently you have to either:

• Mute entire categories (harms accessibility of genuine topics, you also shouldn’t have to mute categories helpful for development unless they are irrelevant to you!)
  • “Deal with it” (and do a lot of scrolling as well as clicking only to discard, for genuine topics)
  • Not use the forum as a development resource altogether

YouTube actually recommends content based on what you watch, the dev forum can do the same. Reddit is by no means a professional platform anyway, so it’s really not a good example.

2 Likes

In the absence of a good quality filter (if such quality filter can even be feasibly constructed, with online machine learning techniques or otherwise), reducing volume of content, especially from the groups that are estimated to produce most of the noise, would be one of the best ways to better curate content and increase the signal-to-noise ratio on the forum, for the time being.

I’m not sure how fast/well Roblox would be able to produce a recommendation-like content filter to the forum. That solution would be ideal over reducing content volume of course, since it will allow everyone to participate, without bothering each other or generating noise for developers that just want to see content/discussion that they find interesting for their level of experience.

My suggestion would be to perform the former first or do some sort of manual segregation of what is posted where, since I think the recommendation filter is very technically challenging and may not be coming for a long while.

This is why it was mentioned…

The suggestion is manually segregation of people operated behind it, no A.I. Is perfect, we all agree on that, that is why it was suggested to be manually operated in the first place.

Where did you get impediment of freedom of speech from buildthomas’ reply lol

For example, if I am interested in topics about discussion about open-source libraries (such as Roact), I would like for there to be topics the forum recommends me that are related to such open-source libraries. It wouldn’t have to be a global filter, just per-user. But maybe there can be one aside for users interested in exploring other topics they may not be familiar with.

2 Likes

Yeah uh, I don’t think you really understand what we’re talking about here.

I’m talking about personalized content recommendations / sorts (in terms of what threads are surfaced to you), not about an AI correcting or abbreviating post content lol.

1 Like

It is something you also may’ve misunderstood with what I said, and maybe you should reread what I stated…

They’ve stated specifically, that manual segregation, is the one they recommend, and they’ve also stated that the fact that the filter is challenging with possible flaws.

Basically imposing the rules hardly on the Developer Forum to be free from low-quality postings, off-topic threads, and threads that break the rules hinders freedom of speech? This is not in anyway related to “Freedom of Speech” if the posts or statements or “speech” as you say, is being removed because it’s breaking the Developer Forum’s rules. No matter what you say, it isn’t really breaking “Freedom Of Speech” and keep in mind, that we chose the Developer Forum to use, and not the Developer Forum chose us, so basically the ones who head the Developer Forum get to make rules that hinders rule breakers from turning this Developer Forum to a public forum. You’re free to leave the Developer Forum if you feel it’s ruining your rights for “Free Speech”.

I mean, I never meant to deny that content sort could be better. A lot of things could be better, but I think right now things are a massive improvement compared to the old “New Member” system. My intention was to say that I was glad that Roblox wasn’t really leaning towards reverting back to the old system. It was never my intention to “cherry pick” nor take anything out of context.