Targeted Ads System

Targeted ads would be a great feature to add to ads with a check and uncheck button, it would be based on genre of ad, you see a lot of people playing clan games and such advertise to the people who go on clan pages a lot and play clan places. If they play a lot of war and FPS games advertise for that or if they play a lot of games just advertise games. It allows ads to be more effective.

4 Likes
  1. The runner of the ad should be able to set the weights of each genre, not just checkboxes. I might not necessarily want to ONLY advertize to people who play a lot of adventure games, but I might still want to target them more than the other groups.
    Each genre could have a slider:

Adventure_|…O…|

Building___|…O…|

And at the end roblox normalizes the sum of the slider values so that it equals 1 and uses the normalized values for weighting. (so I can either put all to max, all to half or all to 0 and it will still advertize equally to all groups)

1. We need a proper list of genres. The current list has some really weird options and misses some others (simulation, tech demo, tycoon, sandbox, survival etc.)

I like the idea. Maybe another interesting addition is a weighted targeting people who’ve already participated with the advertised item. If i made an ad for my group, I don’t want anyone in the group to see it, seeing as its a waste of ad money. The same should go for places that have been Favorited or thumbed up, and models that have been taken. Ads could be all the more efficient.

1 Like

Yes, this would be extremely helpful. Full support.

inb4 people just

|…O| Adventure
|…O| Military
|…O| FPS
|…O| Fun

[quote] inb4 people just

|…O| Adventure
|…O| Military
|…O| FPS
|…O| Fun [/quote]

That doesn’t do anything except seperate your calculated views around everything Lol but let’s say you want people to join your war group you put up Military and all your calculated view go to that category.

I personally hate this idea.

I don’t generally search for tampons, yet I get google ads for it at one point, no matter how much I clear my search history. However, what really screws up the ads I view, is when I have to do research for a health assignment. All the sudden, google thinks I want to see more about whatever it is I am searching temporarily.

I find ad blockers work wonderfully well, but I have to disable it on roblox.com because it ends up blocking user-made ads, and not just google ads. And when I have to log into an NBC account, I see nothing but google ads. (Also, why did you have to change it to google ads only, rather than a mix between google and user-made on NBC accounts? Now I can only get a BC audience into my game, and it’s quite annoying.) Anyways, my point is, if roblox added a targeted ads feature, and they made it include only your recently played games, maybe it would now keep showing you obby ads because you played an obby recently.

And then on the other alternative, is if they made it include what you play overall, despite how long ago it was. Such as if you kept playing the VAC entrance obby just to get into VAC, and for a while, it was the game you played the longest. Then maybe, one day, you decide to ragequit out of VAC, maybe they treated you unfairly, it was too hard to follow orders, whatever. Maybe you’ve given up on war groups, and don’t ever want to see those ads again. So you start wanting to play other games, and become a scripter.

However, you will still see all the war group and/or obby ads, because of your long history in war groups. And you will only see those ads until roblox finally decides to forget.

And then there’s the third part of the dilemma with this idea; you will only see ads for stuff you know. You will only be seeing ads for the games you normally play, or, if you’re heavily involved in a war group, you’ll see tons of ads for war groups, even though you aren’t going to be joining their war group, because you’re loyal to the one you’re highly active in. War group ads are targeted to those who haven’t joined a war group yet, not for those who are already in war groups. A targeted ads system would definitely halt the expansion of groups.

Targeting ads also has one more bad part about its system. And that is if you’re like me, and want to see new games. If you’re only limited to seeing the ads of one genre, and you’ve recently been playing tons of your favorite murder game, then you’ll only see ads of the other murder games, which you would never play because they’re not as good as (Insert 1 of 3 murder games here). And you will not be able to see any other games. Pretty soon, you get bored of murder, and you can only see roblox as “Murder this, murder that.”, because those are the only ads you can see at the moment. Pretty soon, you get depressed and think the website you’ve spent your life on has become corrupt with only murder games, and you are unable to see new, original, and creative ideas.

Targeting ads would take away the purpose of ads. To invite others into a new game, a new concept, or a new group with unique purpose, that maybe you will be interested in. It’s not the things that you already are familiar with, that you enjoy, that will get you to be interested in it. And as for the advertisers, if people unfamiliar with the concept or theme of what they are trying to advertise, the only ones who will be able to see their ads would be the ones who have seen better of what they are advertising. Because if your ad or game or war group isn’t top-of-the-line, then you are doomed to be put down and criticized by the narrow group of quote-on-quote “Your genre of interest”, which you don’t fit in with because you aren’t the best.

And, as I said earlier, I don’t want to see tons of war group ads, just because I’m involved in a war group. If this feature is released, and it is not optional, and it is NOT OFF BY DEFAULT, so help me, I will quit roblox.

1 Like

[quote] inb4 people just

|…O| Adventure
|…O| Military
|…O| FPS
|…O| Fun [/quote]
Like he just said, it doesn’t change how many, but where they go in proportion to one another. That being said, I wont be surprised if people try that.

Does anyone see a flaw in this idea, by the way someone let effward and other web engineers on rbxdev like Ostrichsized.

This would be great! But it will never happen because ROBLOX is a kid’s game and kid’s don’t understand analytics enough.

Make it automatically detect the genre of the game youre advertizing based on whatever you set in the configuration, and the genre preferences of the people who visited it? (if people who really like fps games visit alot, probably a good idea to advertize toward that audience) o3o

I think for this to happen it needs to happen on a larger scale. Data-mining and engineered recommendations are something I’ll approve of on Roblox, tracking where you went on the website, what games you visited, what items you bought etc to not only show you advertisements you might be interested in, but also to show you more relevant games and catalog items.

If I only play FPS games I don’t want to see Work at a Pizza Place on the front page, I want to see CoR5 instead! Not only would this increase the visibility of a lot of games and help establish various genres against the current front page monster that we’ve all come to know and have a love/hate relationship with, it would help get more players interested in roblox over-all and encourage the spending of money.

If people don’t want to use the recommended system they should be able to opt out, such as something you can do with google ads for example.

[quote] I think for this to happen it needs to happen on a larger scale. Data-mining and engineered recommendations are something I’ll approve of on Roblox, tracking where you went on the website, what games you visited, what items you bought etc to not only show you advertisements you might be interested in, but also to show you more relevant games and catalog items.

If I only play FPS games I don’t want to see Work at a Pizza Place on the front page, I want to see CoR5 instead! Not only would this increase the visibility of a lot of games and help establish various genres against the current front page monster that we’ve all come to know and have a love/hate relationship with, it would help get more players interested in roblox over-all and encourage the spending of money.

If people don’t want to use the recommended system they should be able to opt out, such as something you can do with google ads for example. [/quote]

I agree something like a ‘recommendations for me’ category would be great on the games page.