Terrain Editor Update [Beta]

yeah the current terrain is horrible to work with if you simply want a large map

11 Likes

As much as I would agree with the fact that terrain is severely lacking, the UI update was needed due to the addition of custom materials.

8 Likes

Why does sculpt only snap to voxel? Breaks my entire workflow

8 Likes

You guys need to overhaul the entire terrain system completely. Scrap the current one and make something that can actually compete with real game engines like Unreal engine. Currently making terrain for large maps is a painful process and I’m not even happy with the end result, no matter the terrain looks awful upclose and i especially hate the voxel triangle effect and looks really bad on 90 degree angles. This terrain system gotta go it’s too old.
Also on a side note bring back the really old cube terrain as an option. it can be useful for games that have incorporated a voxel/pixel art style.

25 Likes

we will all be dead and our bones will have decayed by the time thats done and out of beta

9 Likes

This should not be happening, will fix this asap.

This should be fixed in about two weeks.

9 Likes

what a joyous day seeing persistent settings… we’re so back

8 Likes

I like this and thank God you can now set strength values above 1, but the way the Sculpt tool always snaps now irks me (you can’t disable it but you can with the Draw tool) and it seems to lag when I select those tools.
Also, might be unrelated to the tools but after using them I just saw the LOD on a mountain get stuck to its low quality version, even up close.

6 Likes
9 Likes

At least you guys acknowledge that a lot of people want custom terrain materials. Would be nice to see.

8 Likes

Smoothing by holding Shift using the Draw tool causes a funny bug that makes an area permanently smooth itself.

External Media

Quitting also shows a warning that says it’s trying to sync up the terrain.

10 Likes

Huh, that should not be happening, will file a ticket and take a look.

6 Likes

fr, smooth shorelines has been in beta for… how long now? and why, it works perfectly fine.

7 Likes

I don’t see how this changes the properties or functionality of the terrain editor significantly. Perhaps change the title to “Terrain Editor UI Update.”

7 Likes

I love this update! Great job to all of those who worked on it. I do have a good suggestion, and that is to have CUSTOM GRASS and TERRAIN BRUSHES for this. I think it would change Roblox Studio and game development on Roblox for the better. As you and other staff has said, you guys are looking into things for the future, which is awesome to hear. Thank you!

7 Likes

Great update, that’s a nice UI change.

6 Likes

The new UI looks better. Because when UI showing the materials, I was confused. But now, they are spares and UI looks a little bit modern. Thank you Roblox Team : ] I hope terrain will get a update soon.

6 Likes

it looks sick! great job, but the terrain should be improved

6 Likes

you mean adding custom material slots, because the terrain can already be customized but needs to be replaced by a roblox default material :cry:

6 Likes

One good feature is for grass to be hidden or removed when theres an object on it, because right now you have to change the material under it to become a different one, e.g. leafy grass

8 Likes