Terrain Editor Update [Beta]

Hello Creators!

We’re excited to announce the rollout of a beta update to the Terrain Editor Studio plugin! We’re updating the Terrain Editor with lots of small improvements and a completely new architecture, which will greatly improve our ability to provide future feature updates. We’ll continue updating this beta with those features and share once we do.

UI Update

We’re updating the Terrain Editor to include UI components that are consistent with the rest of Studio. For example, the material palette now updates as you override materials in MaterialService.

Persistent Settings

When you make changes to your brush settings, these settings will now automatically persist between Studio sessions.

Time Estimates

When performing certain tasks, we will now provide a time estimate of how long that operation will take.

As always, we appreciate your feedback! Let us know if the new Terrain Editor works for you and if you encounter any issues. Thanks!

314 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

I have to say, it looks better that UI. I would like to ask, will we able use custom materials as terrain in future?

77 Likes

maybe work on making the actual terrain better instead of the ui

130 Likes

It would be nice if they added a way to add custom terrain materials, or if we could download them from the internet, that would be great. Already the UI looks great to my taste.

48 Likes

Looks great, love the design consistency

26 Likes

Also @isaac010901

There have been plenty of requests for custom materials and it is something that we are looking into. That being said, we cannot provide any further details at this time.

48 Likes

By “Terrain Editor Update” I thought painting the same material with different colors was added…
Then It turned out to be a UI update :sob:

37 Likes

I really hope you guys can add it, it would be great, I will keep an eye out for updates :happy1:

19 Likes

already having an issue. When you close the editor the tool still shows.

32 Likes

yesss!!! thank you roblox for this wonderful wonderful update!!! :happy3: :happy3: :happy3: :happy3:

16 Likes

adding onto this when you re-open it you can no longer use it either.

10 Likes

We will be making more improvements to the terrain system and tooling going forwards, this update just allows us to do so more effectively. The UI changes are not the only, or even the main reason for this update. We rewrote the entire plugin in a way that lets us bring you more interesting features and we want to make sure that we didn’t break any of your workflows in the process.

32 Likes

Thanks for reporting this issue, we will look into this. The temporary workaround for your follow-up is to select a different tool and then select the tool you want to use again.

15 Likes

I tried doing that as well did not work switching to paint

13 Likes

Great update here! It doesn’t seem like much from our perspective right now, but it’s still great.

This is something that has bothered me for a while. Thanks.

11 Likes

RobloxStudioBeta_fxdl9Fa35d

From UI design standpoint, I think the grid would look better if the items were spaced a bit. Additionally, I think the “Fill” and “Replace” switch, and the “Fill” button should not stretch.

19 Likes

I will forward this to our designer, thank you for the feedback!

12 Likes

Make sure that we can supply additional materials, not just overrides.

10 Likes

Would it be possible to allow the Water terrain to be tweened smoothly?

I have a game where water rises, I figured that if I did it with terrain water, it would look a bit janky. So I removed the terrain water and replaced it with a part instead so I can smoothly tween it.

I think the voxel tool should be unlocked so you can move the terrain out of the grid.

9 Likes