Terrain Water Physics and Customization

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to make realistic water that acts as it should in real life. In the real world water has displacement, if something enters the water the water is moved. A good example of this would be if u put water in a cup and then put something in the cup, the water level will rise. implementing water displacement would be a nice feature to have in roblox for those who want their water mechanics to be more realistic. I make sinking ship games, and when doing so I want the most realistic experience i can get, but with roblox’s current water physics the water just goes through walls like their nothing. I know me, and many other naval developers would definitely be able to improve their games if the option to have water act on a more physical scale. What im talking about can clearly be seen here in this animation.

You’ll notice the water interacts with the walls and objects and gravity, this would be an amazing feature to have, and just simply have it so creators can turn on and off water physics depending on what their game calls for.

My second request would be more water customization. It’s currently very hard to get certain tones and feelings from roblox water. Say for example you want to have a storm out at seas, it’s impossible to currently get a good scary storm going, to players its like its not even there. Why? There is a lack of customization with water. There should be larger wave heights since the current highest wave achievable is still fairly small when simulating rough ocean waves with a larger limit to wave height it would also be necessary to implement the ability to waves to affect part physics like making ships rock with waves. It would also be cool to be able to set a wave height range just like in custom particles you can create a range of particle rates. Also I’d love to see the ability to have more decoration with water, just like how grass had its update water would be much cooler if one could add things like white caps, and sea foam into their world. All of these features would not only improve developers ability to capture the true nature of a situation with water (Rough storm, calm gentle beach, etc.) But it would open up new waves of possibilities of things developers could do with ROBLOXs terrain water. Thank you for reading my long request, I apologize if I accidentally repeated anyone else’s suggestions.

24 Likes

While your first request is nice, fluid simulation is something almost never done even in AAA titles. Doing it in real-time in any kind of a moderately complex map would cause atrocious performance. Try messing around in The Powder Toy (a free game based on particle simulation) and you’ll see that any kind of a significant amount of dynamic particles slows it down to a slideshow.

Most cases can be faked or you could code custom physics. Portal 2’s gels are just spherical meshes that disappear on touching a surface and Battlefield 4’s Flood Zone levolution just raises the water’s level.

As for your second suggestion, advanced water customization was already requested before, but is still something we really require. What would be nice is if we could customize water per voxel instead of just having a global setting.

11 Likes

For your second request, I support. We need more water customization. And this request is not new. I’ve compiled a large list of requests for more water customization, in case you need more things to improve on- :ocean:

7 Likes

I agree, it’d be nice for maps where you might have a beach, and a pond, for example, then the pond could have smaller waves and maybe a greener color while the beach have much bigger waves

1 Like

It’s indeed a very important feature Roblox lacks of and that would definitely completely refresh the way the game works.