Testing an Enhanced Discover Page: Top Charts and New Sorts

I KNEW this had something to do with simulators, possibly.

Simulators have been abusing the system for years.
I wonder if this means that generic low-effort simulators are finally going to die out.

Honestly a W move if it does, the amount of slop that keeps abusing the system and preventing hidden gems from shining is getting exhausting.

4 Likes

This is interesting! I really hope this will help newer games get pushed out more so they can get active players!

3 Likes

Please make sure that CCU are displayed on ALL types of icons/shapes

3 Likes

Is this related to Today’s Picks?
You announced this recently to help unknown Roblox games but you didn’t use it as intended and resting games that everyone knows.

5 Likes

I can’t be the only one who read that as Pop Tarts.

Back on topic, how exactly is the “Fun with Friends” topic made? Is it like fun multiplayer games in general, or like games you generally play with your added friends often?

5 Likes

Awesome, but can i have the continue back on top of the home page?

5 Likes

Can we get Genre filters back first? Please?

7 Likes

Its really funny to see roblox adding back genre sorting as if its something brand new despite them removing it years ago because they didnt see the point in having it lol

6 Likes

This is already a lot better than the discovery page right now, but it doesn’t solve the problem of discovering new games that haven’t reached popularity yet.

There is one key feature missing: a category which doesn’t list already popular games, but rather analize games while ignoring the player count and promoting them slowly, just like Youtube tries to do when assessing how a new video is.

I think something like this wouldn’t just increase discovery, it would change the way how people find new games.

6 Likes

Will this be bringing back the concurrent players?

3 Likes

Please just bring back genre sorts, everyone will be happy instead of a curated page. I can speak for most of the older users on Roblox here that we don’t always want front page games. That’s whats really getting stale instead of anything new, Please don’t remove genres It could be useful again.

8 Likes

Will there still be personalized sorts on the Roblox home page?

6 Likes

An all-or-nothing approach isn’t it. Algorithmic sorts can be extremely powerful when tuned correctly. It’s simply avoiding repeating the same information across multiple different sorts that’s the problem.

Just from my quick browse of the new Discover page, I’m seeing a lot more unique games showing up, and some games that are definitely not as well advertised/monetized/etc showing up in the more specialized sorts. There’s also a Fighting sort that appears at the bottom of the page, and as mentioned in the OP, they are working on reworking genre sorts. So long as they don’t drop the ball, genres will eventually be back on the menu.

4 Likes

just give us proper sorting, I would much rather a filter system kinda like how Roblox used to have, genres in my opinion are a good way to do it, also it would be nice to filter out what you might not want to see etc.
For example I could care less about tycoons and simulator games and or most roleplay games, if I could hide those sorts it would be nice, also being able to choose what you would want to see.
when I look at the games page it just looks like a big mess, that and the home page.

Also sure finding top played games is nice, but it gets old as its always the same old stuff, I would much rather find some game that might not be as known but is different and more geared for maybe a older player base. Another thing I find is “up and coming” lists games that isn’t new but games that’s been around for years

I am one who likes how Steam is.

11 Likes

i cant believe this is happening this is such a big change for the discovery of games. updates like this will force creators to be unique. in an ideal world, we actually get games that care about user experience

1 Like

7-8 years ago I remember there was a category option “Because you liked…”, and I used to like and visit a crap ton of showcase games. That category showed me tons of games of showcase value because of that. Personalized experiences was NOT a bad thing, it showed me games I enjoyed with friends and learned from as well.

That system I’m not sure how it worked, but I believe it worked on the favorites and associated data the creator of the game I liked had on their account, so it just recommended me games alike to what the creator made. I would really really love to see this here again, because it allowed me to find high quality games in that fashion that you can only find with games like obscure game finder now.

Either way, these steps mentioned in the post I feel have good intention, but please don’t miss out on the gold mine you can get from that old system. For those wishing to experience how it worked, you can visit the game below and type one your fellow developer’s names. A lot of amazing work will show up.

1 Like

does “enhanced” mean using AI?

1 Like

Will consensus-based human evaluation be in the form of the following:

• Users manually assign what they think the genre is through something like surveys
  • An automated process via AI or Data Analytics
  • Internal Roblox Staff manual making the consensus
  • Something else?
1 Like

each step towards an easier to (find games) use front page is great but its still pretty hard to find games that arent already popular (honestly very bad for uhh Developers and players ! people want to try new things not play the same game over and over) and maybe reimplementing Genre sorting (as a dropdown) that isnt bsaed on whats trending but sorts most players from least players and shows everything in the genre instead of having a limited sorted front page with only a handful of games? the old old frontpage was honestly really good for finding both popular and niche games quickly, its very hard to find new games currently with the way the explore page is set up.

encouraging players to tune the explore page to their own wants using tools provided by roblox instead of having an algorithm decide for them is a future people would likely prefer, especially if roblox is trying to have a more broad (and mature) audience. Taking notes (but not too many cuz even they falter) from Steam for example with their (almost too indepth) sorting tools instead of entirely relying on a vague and honestly confusing algorithm based design

roblox historically used to have a much more powerful front page despite the system itself being far simpler because you werent entirely reliant on an imperfect algorithm/ai

4 Likes

the current system is interesting but far too limiting, i get why a ‘trending’ based system is used, its easier for younger audiences to approach a curated selection of games that are already popular in the moment but its not a good look when you go to see more and it quite literally is 1% of 1% of the genre in question and players aren’t encouraged to try games that aren’t trending or popular already. i have, on occasion (before this current system) have wondered if the games page was broken on site because i was only able to see like 25 games or whatever and not scroll infinitely
roblox has infinite scrolling in some parts of the site, why not have a section where you can just see every game of the genre (including All Genres) that scrolls infinitely so you can actually find new games?

1 Like