TextBoxes typing problem

I’ve noticed that textboxes on mobile are currently a bit buggy. Basically when you type a letter there is an 80% chance that it will ‘double type’ the letter. Not sure if this is on tablet too but its pretty recent and I’ve been having many complaints about it.

25 Likes

Adding onto this, I don’t necessarily appreciate the lack of word correction. When you try to type anything on any app on the phone, you’re bound to hit the wrong keys. If Apple disabled it on Safari then what I’m writing right now would make no sense. The ROBLOX app has no spell correction in game and it’s really annoying when you want to type something quick and get back to your game, but you have to continuously go back and correct what you said.

2 Likes

Bump. This is still an issue and nothing has been done in attempt to resolve it.

3 Likes

I did enable some fixes for text boxes on Apple platforms yesterday afternoon. Are you still experiencing this issue?. I can’t reproduce this on my Android phone.

What device are you seeing this on?

1 Like

I’m still able to produce it. Here is the result of my attempts to try type “Hello” using a text box chat:

This was done today on an iPhone 5s.

6 Likes

ColdDeveloper, I was curious so I tested it and I was unable to reproduce this on the iPhone 7 and on the Galaxy S5.

Also, Usering, I just tested this from both of the above devices, the android allows autocorrect to correct things. I’m not sure, as Roblox handles in-game input oddly in some cases and I have very little experience with making cross-platform apps, but it might be changed at some point in the future by changing the Correction type (autocorrectionType?) of the keyboard.

1 Like

This still happens to me too, I asked my brother to check it out and he also has the same problem. It’s a bit of an annoying issue and it still exists.

2 Likes

This issue still exists. It is severely hampering users in Lua Learning on iOS mobile devices.

2 Likes

Still exists in Jan 2023
iPhone 11, iOs 16.3

3 Likes

I found one thing that can cause this bug to occur. I tested many different properties of the textbox, and the only thing that I found so far that causes this bug to occur is slightly altering the text inside of the textbox while the player is typing.
This is the code I used to test:

local textBox = script.Parent.TextBox

textBox:GetPropertyChangedSignal("Text"):Connect(function()
	textBox.Text = textBox.Text:upper() -- just slightly altering the text by making it all uppercase
end)

I also tested a max-characters system, but I found that that didn’t cause this bug to happen.

3 Likes

for me, this max characters script breaks the textbox for mobile

TextBox:GetPropertyChangedSignal('Text'):Connect(function()
	TextBox.Text = string.sub(TextBox.Text, 1, MaxCharacters)
end)
2 Likes

I think that anytime you set the Text property of a TextBox to something (even the same text), it breaks the TextBox for mobile. You could try only setting the text if the max character limit is reached (I don’t know for sure if this will work, but I think it should).

2 Likes

nah i just made it so if the players tries to save something over the character limit, a message pops up saying what the character limit is and telling them it won’t save

1 Like

Pretty sure this is still an issue? Had lots of complaints over the years from our player base. Exact same scenario as comments on this post. PC works completely fine.

1 Like

Bump. Players are still experiencing this issue on mobile.

EnterUI.TextBox:GetPropertyChangedSignal("Text"):Connect(function()
	EnterUI.TextBox.Text = EnterUI.TextBox.Text:sub(1,240)
end)
3 Likes

Solution, check the length of the string before cutting it.
string.len

Still happends with my players. I’m sure this happens if your code is

textbox.Changed:Connect(function(a)
   if a == "Text" then
     textbox.Text = textbox.Text
   end
end)

Although I’m not exactly sure why this happens. But this happens on certain types of devices. My Android phone does not have this problem. Many players of my games complain about this problem, but due to its nature, I cannot solve it. I work with text fields very closely so this is necessary for me. I know about workarounds, but I don’t think it’s very nice.

2 Likes

Can confirm this also happens in all my games where the textbox’s text is overwritten as the player is typing (on mobile). This impacts the user experience tremendously as some of the games I work on rely on user input!

I can confirm this still happens (I have no screenshot however)
On device iPad (10th generation) running iPadOS 17.3 (this isn’t a public beta)
Just typing your name in The Presentation Experience when you join is extremely buggy. I wasted Robux on Write the next subject because my subject didn’t type properly

I have a game in which this bug is very clearly visible. Also, on the Android system, when using auto-correction, the on-screen keyboard crashes and can no longer be used. You have to restart Roblox or even your phone.

The Game

Keyboard crash video on Android:

For some reason it only works in this game. It uses Roact library to display the GUI, but I don’t know how that might relate to what’s going on.

If Roblox staff has problems with how to reproduce this bug, they can try playing this game.

2 Likes