TextChatService - allow developers to create AutoCastCommands

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to create chat commands that have functionality which needs to trigger before the message is sent.

The legacy chat service was very flexible in allowing you to modify core commands, such as the Team commands, and extend them with your own functionality.

My use case is that I have a bunch of “cross-team” channels, for example a channel for all “combatives” versus all “scientists” (even if they’re not on the same team). This also allows private channels to span across teams based on other permissions, such as a “mod chat” which works between teams.

Medal_RI6OWKLUeI

As is shown here, when you type /t or /team the channel switch happens as you type rather than after the command is sent. This is great UX, but in the new TextChatService this is hard-coded to only work with /team and /whisper and cannot be modified without access to the CoreScript Rodux state.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I would be able to migrate fully to TextChatService, whilst allowing my playerbase to retain the rich custom chat functionality that our gameplay mechanics work around.

12 Likes

I mentioned it in the private beta to the engineers and they put it on the backlog. Actually, almost identical example, I’m not sure how far along this might gotten.

5 Likes

For people that don’t believe me, I’ve asked them in a private beta (now released) and didn’t know to make a feature request for it. Due to devforums limitations, I cannot quota the message though I can post an image here:

If need be, I’m sure a Roblox Staff member could update us about this if need be.

2 Likes