TextChatService is now the default for new experiences!

Does anyone else have the issue where chat history only shows from the moment you join the game?

The legacy chat shows messages that were sent before the client joined. I didn’t see a setting for this, so I assume it’s a bug?
EDIT: wrong reply, sorry :wink:

2 Likes

Yo the bubble chat still has bugs in it

3 Likes

When typing characters such as < and &, they get converted to &lt; and &amp; respectively when hooked to Player.Chatted and TextChatService.MessageReceived.

Is this by design or bug? Because it did not do this in the Legacy Chat.

4 Likes

please for the love of god @be_nj make it so that the colon after a message is the same color as your name by default :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

3 Likes

Hello, for some reason I am unable to make a bug report in #bug-reports but I will post it here because I really want to help.

• There’s a glitch with the new chat where sometimes the end of messages get cut off (Both in the bubble and in the chatUI) It hasn’t happened to me but I know someone who’s on mobile who’s had it happening. It happened in this game:
    Furry Fandom: Hangout - Roblox
    Note It only happens sometimes, not all the times.
    Their device is a Samsung Galaxy S21 running Android 11 and it also happened on an android tablet of theirs, personally it hasn’t happened on my iPhone.
    Another note When people were writing commands in the chat, such as :refresh (Using a TextChatCommand), it wasn’t fired because the message was cut off, this indicates that it might not only be a visual glitch!

• Another issue I’ve been reported is sometimes the chat bubble doesn’t appear / it appears and then suddenly disappears, it also happened in the same game and I actually have a video that shows what happens. They are running windows 11, they have tried uninstalling ROBLOX, remove the appdata and removing studio but it keeps on doing it. It seems to only been happening with the new chat.

Thank you for your continous support and active listening for bugs, I’m really happy to see this refreshed chat become better and better!

7 Likes

Futhermore, another glitch happens with the chat bubble when zooming out with the camera. Instead of putting the messages in order, it gets the chat bubbles in a complete random order. It’s not inversed. A video is attached to this post to show the issue.

5 Likes

it annoys me that textchatservice is still so buggy with how long it’s been released…

like, i’d love to use it… if it didn’t make chat bubbles immediately disappear, or if it didn’t randomly mix the ordering of chat bubbles, or if it actually let me see what i’m typing past the first line.

1 Like

For the time being, here’s an example of something you could do to get around this:

local escapedForms = {
	['&'] = '&amp;';
	['<'] = '&lt;';
	['>'] = '&gt;';
	['"'] = '&quot;';
	['\''] = '&apos;';
}

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player)
	player.Chatted:Connect(function(message)
		for i,v in pairs(escapedForms) do 
			if string.find(message, i) then
				print(string.gsub(message, v, i))
				-- Do whatever
			end
		end
	end)
end)
2 Likes

I’ve been having the message cutoff issue as well, can’t figure out why it happens. Also happens infrequently, but enough to cause issues with players communicating.

1 Like

the error is exactly correct, it is :Destroy not .Destroy

1 Like

The code is wrong. It should be message.TextSource.Destroy(message.TextSource).

1 Like

I wasn’t talking about my code, more rather the one listed on the developer documentation, as it literally says “.Destroy()” instead of “:Destroy()”, however when I call the method “.Destroy()”, it provides a error, therefore I am asking if the developer documentation was updated or not, or whether if the code itself needed to be changed to include the “.Destroy()” method.

1 Like

@be_nj I’m not sure if this error is a result of the bug where the chat bubbles don’t appear/disappear too quickly for some players, but if it is hopefully this helps.

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for reporting these issues. We will release a fix soon for the chat bubbles being in a random order when zooming in and out.

We are actively investigating the other 2 issues you’ve mentioned. We’ve gotten report of the chat bubble appearing/disappearing in the past but have never been able to reproduce it. Could you give us more information on how to reproduce the issue and which devices you’ve seen this on?

1 Like

Can we get an ETA on when this method will be enabled? I switched all of my code to the new method, as the dev hub website has no indicator that the method isn’t enabled yet. I have to switch everything back for the mean time since it doesn’t work. :frowning:

1 Like

Is it possible to delete an existing bubble before lifetime runs out?

1 Like

Hi, were you trying to call this from the server? DisplayBubble only works from the client, please take a look at this post for more information:

1 Like

I was using this on the server yes – the wiki documentation does not say I can’t. This should probably be updated lol.

I can switch my code to use a remote event and call the method on the client. A little bit of a shame that the method does not work on the server like the old Chat method does.

1 Like

Tried turning on TextChatService today to find that a number of players in my game are experiencing the chat bubble instantly disappearing problem that was mentioned here in April. Reverting to legacy chat until this can be addressed.

2 Likes

Sorry for the late response, for the bubble disappearing I have not been able to reproduce it, as for the chat cutting off, me and someone else has observed it might be because they’re typing too fast?

They have an HP Laptop : HP Laptop 15-dy0025tg Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support (the link provided is one directly taken from the official HP website) and they were running on 10 FPS, so this might be linked. The game is running on 1.5GB of memory for me but they said theirs is on 2GB, it was in this game : Furry Fandom: Hangout - Roblox

They have also observed that if they take their time to type slowly it doesn’t get cut off, though I have not been able to contact anyone else observing the issue so far so it’s only a 1 case scenario, hope this helps.

4 Likes