TextChatService: New Chat Window Customization and Delivery APIs

NO THIS IS ACTUALLY BEAUTIFUL.

I think I’ve seen that same clip of you resizing the ChatWindow in my dreams. Amazing work as always.

For feedback, the default BackgroundTransparency for the ChatWindow doesn’t match the icons above it.

As you can see, the chat window looks slightly darker. The default transparency is 0.3 here. However, when you set the transparency to 0.4, it fits together 10x better in my opinion:

The easiest workaround is by setting the transparency yourself, but I think it should fit by default.

Furthermore, is it possible to have a chat bubble fade out? Instead of just disappearing instantly? Might just be a bug but I remember that being a thing.

2 Likes

This is great — Hoping that Input bar customization and typing detection will come soon!

Ok, this is a slightly weird feature request but

I’ve found a place where I turned messages into clickable hyperlinks with a Click callback, maybe could we get this in the new chat service?

Started using this recently, and I love it! Big thanks for this update!

Amazing update! But when will we have a new channels bar?

This is a great update. I hope we get a solution for custom gradients in chat at some point as well!

It’s the only reason I haven’t been able to switch to this yet: Make it possible to apply custom UIGradients with TextChatService.OnIncomingMessage

1 Like

One thing I noticed is that the colon doesn’t share the same colour as the name, so I’m here to share a workaround. It’s a bit hacky but bear with me.

If you set the ChatWindowConfiguration.TextSize to 1, the colon will be so small you can’t see it, and then you can use RichText on the rest of the text (eg. tags and chat colour) to increase the chat size, you can use the prefix text to add your own colon.

As I said it’s a hack so the colon is technically visible in some circumstances but unless you’re looking for it, there’s a good chance you won’t be able to see it as it’s tiny.

Why is the bubble chat offset is incorrect on R6 avatars?

This update is pretty cool and chat window customization is nice.

Though, there seems to be an issue with private messaging when one of the players leaves after using the private chat. After re-joining, sending or receiving messages seems to not work.

3 Likes

Here’s a feature request I have, when are will we be able to customize what the target channel chip for our custom TextChannels say?

We’ve released an update yesterday that lets you customize the default chat input box. Look for new properties under ChatInputBarConfiguration

2 Likes

Can you let us customize the bottom chat box where we type things like background color, text color and even the icon for sending texts, also please let us customize how long the whole chat box hides when inactive.

2 Likes

This makes me want to switch over to TextChatService, but something is putting me off…

The Player.Chatted function no longer seems to run when using TextChatService, so it breaks over 90% of my game when I switch it to TextChatService

1 Like

Yo quick question, will the LegacyChatService option be discontinued in the future or will it be kept for backwards-compatibility?

1 Like

It seems that using a custom font and/or textsize larger than default is preventing my chat from automatically scrolling all the way to the bottom. Currently players have to continuously scroll down to see the latest messages.

Is there any way to mitigate this?

yooooooooooooooooooo i know im late to the party but can we please talk about this

cursed_ui

4 Likes

Thank you for the new chat window! Very sleek and modern and full of customisation! :raised_hands:

Just one small feature request - Could we possibly have custom position offset as well? I know we can re-position to various location of screen at the moment. However, for example, if I already have some skill slots positioned at the bottom of the screen and I put the chat window at bottom center as well, they will overlapping each others. In this case, a further configurable offset for the chat window will provide much more versatile customisation.

2 Likes

Hey, the new chat is modern and simple. I appreciate the work that went into this. However, there is a major flaw, that I noticed.

When I press the Slash button on my keyboard, I can open the chat. However when I use SHIFT + 7, the chat window does not focus. This might be because keyboards have different layouts in the different countries.

SHIFT + 7 on my keyboard will make the Slash, this is a very simple thing to fix. I see this pain impact one of my games. People simply chats less because of this.

The old chat system had this in place. Other than that, nice feature!

I’ve noticed an issue that really hurts the social aspect of this chat system. It doesn’t show a notification when players chat up at the top like the supposedly worse legacy system. Could this be fixed?

This is an intentional change in behavior to make chat more inline with the rest of our hotkey system. Previously the chat hotkey was the only key that moved around depending on what keyboard layout you’re using. All the other keys, importantly like WASD, are always in the same position regardless of what the label on the key is.

With TextChatService, the key was changed to work like a normal hotkey using ContextActionService, and so should be whatever key is to the left of your right shift (/ in standard English keyboards).