Make it possible to apply custom UIGradients with TextChatService.OnIncomingMessage

As a Roblox Developer, it is currently impossible to customize incoming chat messages using UIGradients with the New In-Experience text chat system.

This is something we’ve been doing with the old chat system in Car Crushers 2. Where the player’s name is customized with a gradient and color of their choice:

Previously we used to do this with simple .ChildAdded Signal attached to the chat container in the player’s PlayerGui. But now that the new Chat is kept in the CoreGui, on top of the fact that RichText doesn’t support UIGradients, we have no way to port this behaviour over without writing an entirely custom chat.

If Roblox is able to address this issue it would make the conversion to the new chat massively easier to implement. Any of these additions would work:

1. The new default chat GUI being made accessible in the PlayerGui
  2. TextChatService.OnIncomingMessage featuring settings to override the message’s GUI components (This scenario requires 2 textlabels with UIGraidents applied to one)
  3. UIGradient support in RichText
19 Likes

I can’t seem to make a Topic myself in Feature Requests, but I’d appreciate the ability to make non-user TextSources (closely related to the Speaker class in the old chat version). On the creator hub, it was said that it was planned to be implemented by setting the userid parameter to a negative number and then you’d have a ‘fake player’ that can chat in channels. I was able to achieve this effect in the old chat version, so I’d appreciate being able to do the same in the new version.