TextScaled TextLabel UIStroke behaves unexpectedly while in a BillboardGui

Reproduction Steps

In the attached place file, you’ll find 2 bricks containing identical BillboardGuis, except one’s TextLabel TextScaled property is true, while the other’s is false: UIStroke Bug.rbxl (39.0 KB)

TextScaled true:

TextScaled false:

You can notice how different the outline looks in the case where TextScaled is set to true. The way the outline looks in the TextScaled false version is the desired version, but it doesn’t behave as intended in the TextScaled true version.

I am 100% sure this was not happening before the 17th of August. It may have been introduced in an update pushed on the 17th or 18th.

I have noticed this while working on my game and I was able to test it on mobile before updating to the latest app version and afterwards. All TextLabels in the UI below have the TextScaled property set to True.

PC:

Mobile app before update to latest version:

Mobile app after update to version 2.540.501:

PC specs:
Windows 10
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS with Radeon Graphics
GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 with Max-Q Design
Memory 32.0 GB

Phone specs:
iPhone Xr
iOS 15.4.1
App version 2.540.501

Expected Behavior

I expect the TextScaled true version’s outline to look like the TextScaled false version’s outline:
textscaledfalse

Actual Behavior

The TextScaled false version looks unpleasing and different to the TextScaled true version:
textscaledtrue

I expect the text’s outline to look the same, regardless of the TextScaled property.

Workaround

A workaround would be to switch from TextScaled true to TextScaled false and adjust the TextSize property to match the desired size, but this is not desirable and involves unnecessary efforts.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Display
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-08-18 12:08:00 (+03:00)

5 Likes

I’m having a similar issue
2022-08-19_11-37

1 Like

Yeah, same here.

2 Likes

This is a pretty serious regression to text rendering, and we’re looking into it now.

5 Likes

Hello, I would like to point out that this issue started occurring around the same time this one did:
Aliasing issue for TextLabels with recent Roblox update - Bug Reports / Engine Bugs - DevForum | Roblox
I am also able to reproduce this issue, but I would like to point out that both reports were filed 5-6 hours ago and both involve a BillboardGui.

However, I wasn’t aware that UIStroke had an issue (I was only aware of TextStroke). One thing I experimented with in the other post is changing the RichText property.

After closely inspecting the 2 bricks found in the provided place file, I can see that the one with TextScaled has more anti-aliasing than the one without.

And similar to the last post, I experimented with RichText, to be yielded with this result:
(RichText parts are black)
I don’t think I did my research, since UIStroke doesn’t appear on either of the RichText parts, which I think is intentional.

The issue should be fixed now. If you continue to see any of these new regressions with BillboardGui text rendering after restarting the app, let us know.

4 Likes

Thank you for the effort put into solving this, it seems to work as intended now.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 9 days. New replies are no longer allowed.