Texture Image Transparency Rolloff

As a roblox developer, it is currently too hard to integrate textures when they’re supposed to blend in. Here’s an example:

If you wanted that dirt road texture to roll off seamlessly into the sand, it would be impossible because transparency can’t be applied only to the ends of a texture instance… If there were some fade gradient applied on top of the texture that made only the ends become more transparent, it would allow for a more seamless design.

8 Likes

In the mean time I’d suggest using the “ground” material sort of randomly along the edges where the two materials meet to create a sort of transition. I’ve been using this method to transition from grass to a other materials for a while now and I feel it works pretty well. You can see how I used it in the picture below to transition between the grass and the rocky cliffs and also the road.

3 Likes

Oh haha, I’d like to see this implemented too, but I was actually referring to the part’s texture. Let me post another picture to clarify.

I’m pretty sure I know what you’re asking for and it would be awesome to be able to have better transitions by fading out one texture and fading in another though I’m not sure how easy it would be in implement. I just wanted to give you another method I’ve figured out in the mean time that works pretty well I think :slight_smile:

EDIT: Ooohhhhh, nevermind, you’re talking about textures and not terrain. I didn’t notice the texture in that first picture. I’d definitely support being able to do this though you could also just make a version of the texture where it fades out and then use a couple of parts on the ends with the fade texture to fade out the ends (if that makes sense)

1 Like

The problem with this is that the texture can’t be repeated; it will fade upon every iteration of the texture. I want it to only fade for the last one or two.

You could do three parts though with textures on them. The first one is short and has a texture that fades in (I’d probably use a decal for it actually). Then have a middle piece with a texture so you can repeat it as long as needed. And then have a third piece that’s just the first piece flipped around and put at the other end.

2 Likes

True but this is a lot more expensive and the transparency would layer onto other parts.

Or maybe some sort of 9-slice texture property