Texture Offsets 2016

It’s simple. We have StudsPerTileU and StudsPerTileV.

Now we need OffsetStudsU and OffsetStudsV.

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

2 Likes

So ImageRectOffset/Size but for Textures?

I think that Decal and Texture objects need most Image* GUI properties, really. And Image* GUI objects need a repeating texture mode like the Texture object does.

1 Like

Relevant feature request to your post

I’m gonna say heck yes. I was considering making a thread, but I didn’t get around to it.

The use case I’m imagining: tiling wallpaper on a house. The walls are not one solid piece, but many pieces which constitute a wall with holes (windows). One should be able to make the texture seamless without having to offset it in photoshop and loading in a dozen copies of the decal. Using CSG to solve this: 1) sounds like overkill, 2) isn’t possible online. Using SurfaceGuis to solve this is a bad move (they are always so bright!).

Also, @EchoReaper, it’s not quite like ImageRectOffset/Size (those are mostly for sprite sheets). Instead just imagine a regular textured surface, then slide the images around. The entire image is still being tiled, only the position is slightly different.

@Corecii In the best of all possible worlds, yes, but that takes time. I don’t have a use case for ImageRectOffset/Size, so I would prefer they prioritize this.

4 Likes

blobby hit the nail on the head in both usage terms and how it should be implemented.

I want to create a custom material for something but it can’t repeat properly in many cases when I have to do things like create windows where there are cut outs.

This would definitely save a lot of trouble.

I do have a little hack for matching seams on tiling textures. Textures stick at one corner and clip at the opposite when resizing the part their on. To take advantage of this from both sides upload a version of the texture upside down so that you can control which side the texture is clipped. I usually put them on invisible parts sitting just above the surface the texture goes on so I don’t mess up walls and stuff.

Smart.

3 Likes

Love you!

I’d just like to let everyone know that this has been now accepted :smiley:

It’s ‘in progress’

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Texture Offsets