Texture Offsets 2019

I think that’s doable with the forcefield material as well.

1 Like

I used an image strip to make a gif-like animated texture using the offset, but unfortunately the texture seems to be incredibly low quality even though i uploaded a high quality texture

(Obviously the first gif i tested had to be nick)

EDIT: If anyone wants to try out this gif thing, here’s the script

-- Script by HungryBoy02

local Frames = 18 --Amount of frames in gif

local fps = 24 -- Max 30

local size = script.Parent.Parent.Size -- The gif should be on the front of the part

script.Parent.StudsPerTileU = Frames*size.X

script.Parent.StudsPerTileV = size.Y

while wait(1/fps) do

script.Parent.OffsetStudsU = script.Parent.OffsetStudsU + size.X

if script.Parent.OffsetStudsU > script.Parent.StudsPerTileU then

script.Parent.OffsetStudsU = 0

end

end

(This script should be inside a texture instance inside a part)

And a texture I used:

19 Likes

This is another great addition that ROBLOX has decided to make to take the platform to the next level! The changes allow for even more development possibilities. Keep it up ROBLOX.

I remember trying to make a scrolling effect with textures a few years back and stopped when I couldn’t recreate this feature! This much needed update has finally been fulfilled.

Hats off to @devHoodie for making a perfect example of this!

6 Likes

14 Likes

Awesome! Now we can make animated textures!

You don’t have to apologize for the wait, it was worth it! This feature will definitely help with my games when adding details to meshes with textures, I can’t thank you enough…

Is there any way to rotate the texture itself without rotating the part?

We don’t support texture rotation; part of the delay of the feature comes from the fact that we were working on instancing support and we didn’t know the full parameters of the instancing system so we didn’t really want to commit to one more rendering feature around part rendering.

With the instancing system done, we had to support texture offsets internally for a variety of reasons, which is why we also exposed them as a feature.

However, we don’t need texture rotation support right now, and if we were to implement this this would expand the instance data size, making it ~14% bigger for all parts regardless of whether they need to use textures or if these textures need rotation, so we can’t implement “rotation” for free and because of this we haven’t done it.

18 Likes

I see a copyright free movie being made in the future!

1 Like

Finally it’s been enabled :pray::pray:

I believe that is from CoD. It would be cool to have it in Roblox though.

2 Likes

Something as simple as this brings so many possibilities. Hopefully we’ll see similar QoL updates in the near future when it comes to textures, decals, etc.

In my case, here’s what texture offsets allowed me to do:

22 Likes

not too poo on that, because that’s really cool and beautiful, but is that not already doable with beams?

It was impossible to animate the textures so that they could slowly move against the surface of a mesh before.

4 Likes

ahh I see. didn’t consider that. that makes sense :+1:

It would be nice to have an offset option for MeshParts’ textures. This would allow for dynamic textures with shapes such as spheres without getting alignment problems.

3 Likes

HOLY COW IT HAPPENED! :open_mouth:
You do not know how much time I’ve been working on to change the offset with the StudsPerTileU & V. I can see this being used for millions of builds. THANK YOU!!!

I never found a need for this until right after you guys added it. And now that I’m using it, I wish I had used it before.