Texture Offsets 2019

You don’t have to apologize for the wait, it was worth it! This feature will definitely help with my games when adding details to meshes with textures, I can’t thank you enough…

Is there any way to rotate the texture itself without rotating the part?

We don’t support texture rotation; part of the delay of the feature comes from the fact that we were working on instancing support and we didn’t know the full parameters of the instancing system so we didn’t really want to commit to one more rendering feature around part rendering.

With the instancing system done, we had to support texture offsets internally for a variety of reasons, which is why we also exposed them as a feature.

However, we don’t need texture rotation support right now, and if we were to implement this this would expand the instance data size, making it ~14% bigger for all parts regardless of whether they need to use textures or if these textures need rotation, so we can’t implement “rotation” for free and because of this we haven’t done it.

18 Likes

I see a copyright free movie being made in the future!

1 Like

Finally it’s been enabled :pray::pray:

I believe that is from CoD. It would be cool to have it in Roblox though.

2 Likes

Something as simple as this brings so many possibilities. Hopefully we’ll see similar QoL updates in the near future when it comes to textures, decals, etc.

In my case, here’s what texture offsets allowed me to do:

22 Likes

not too poo on that, because that’s really cool and beautiful, but is that not already doable with beams?

It was impossible to animate the textures so that they could slowly move against the surface of a mesh before.

4 Likes

ahh I see. didn’t consider that. that makes sense :+1:

It would be nice to have an offset option for MeshParts’ textures. This would allow for dynamic textures with shapes such as spheres without getting alignment problems.

3 Likes

HOLY COW IT HAPPENED! :open_mouth:
You do not know how much time I’ve been working on to change the offset with the StudsPerTileU & V. I can see this being used for millions of builds. THANK YOU!!!

I never found a need for this until right after you guys added it. And now that I’m using it, I wish I had used it before.

Just gotta say that this update is a godsend for the plugin I’m working on. Previously, I had to create a new rope segment whenever I wanted a texture to repeat, which increased part counts by a lot. With texture offsets, all I have to do is adjust the texture offsets for each segment so that the textures line up. As a bonus, since I’m using Textures now (instead of the mesh’s Texture property) I can now adjust the rotation, length, and offset, of the texture, too!

16 Likes

Is this a plugin you plan on releasing/opensourcing? It looks pretty cool!

Released it not too long ago.

4 Likes

Nice! Is anything in the works to add a feature like this to MeshPart textures?
Being able to animate a texture on a MeshPart would be so useful!

1 Like

Please also add offsets to the tile scale function in GUIs, it would be of great use to me. Currently I have to manually upload a version of the image with spacing in it, which is quite annoying

3 Likes

Woohoo! No more SurfaceGui hacks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.