Textures, materials, and decals should have the ability to be rotated

Problem

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to match textures when parts are rotated. This applies to both the texture class, materials, and decals. The issue stems from certain types of parts, like wedges and cylinders, which must be rotated to fit in place in a map. Currently, there is no way to do this. Take a look at the below image which is from an actual map that is currently in development.

Obviously, this causes problems with consistency and continuity when trying to match and align textures across various parts in a map, especially if those parts are in close vicinity with each other. This issue also applies to materials under the material service and with decals. With materials, there should be a per-part setting for rotation of the material.

As I was writing this, I discovered that there is a much older feature request along the same lines that was posted over 5 years ago:

Texture/Decal Rotation Feature

Use Cases

The use cases are self evident. Parts such as wedges and cylinders are rotated all the time with textures applied to them. For Roblox default material textures, this usually isn’t a problem. But when using custom textures which feature a non-regular pattern, they must be aligned with the textures of surrounding parts which is currently impossible.

At this point, I have to use textures that have regular patterns where the rotation doesn’t matter so they can be aligned with the textures of the surrounding parts.

Conclusion

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because it would make it easier to align materials with rotated parts. An additional benefit of implementing this feature would be less initial network traffic and less memory consumption because the client isn’t downloading multiple versions of the same texture.

10 Likes