The avatar editor is so slow and unresponsive in mobile

Hello,

The avatar editor is functioning so slow and unresponsive on mobile with huge delays, choppy and laggy animations and stuttering. For example if I am at the “home” tab on the app and switch to the “avatar” tab, it would take a few seconds to switch tabs and load the avatar editor. Switching between different categories such as characters, clothing, accessories would have a delay and take a few seconds to switch. There is also visible lag when equipping or trying an animation. Avatar items load a little slowly with some lag. Scrolling doesn’t feel smooth. Equipping avatar items also have small delays and would result in some lag.

The avatar editor truly need optimizations and performance improvements, it’s just very slow and unresponsive. I wouldn’t expect it to be this slow. There hasn’t been a regression in the performance of the avatar editor, it has always been slow. Almost everything else in the app is fast and smooth. I haven’t really been bothered by the performance of the avatar editor on mobile until I was forced to use it, it’s literally almost unusable.

Video:-

System and device information:-

Device: Samsung Galaxy M12
OS version: Android 13
Roblox app version: 2.634.417 (03e98b)

Expected behavior

I would expect the avatar editor to function smoothly with no delays, lags, stutters or choppiness.

Thank you.

1 Like

I can’t reproduce the performance issues you’re seeing, the only thing I noticed on one of my devices is when initially opening the avatar editor there is about a 200ms lag spike, but that’s basically it. I feel like it also may depend on your network speed how adding, removing accessories and trying animation works, as the client will have to spend more time downloading assets.

I think providing a MicroProfiler dump for when the lag spikes happen will help debug this problem.

That might be true but I am not having any performance issues with the avatar editor on the website or even the Windows Desktop and UWP apps (though they are a little slower than the website). Both are tested on the same network.

As for the Microprofiler dumps here they are:-

1. Switching from the home tab to the avatar editor page.
    microprofile-20240722-163242.html (541.4 KB)

2. Switching between categories (for example all, characters, clothing, accessories, heads, animations).
    microprofile-20240722-163358.html (586.7 KB)

3. Scrolling through the marketplace items.
    microprofile-20240722-164100.html (643.3 KB)

4. Equipping an animation.
    microprofile-20240722-164100.html (643.3 KB)

5. Equipping an avatar item (for example a hat).
    microprofile-20240722-164330.html (646.8 KB)

6. Switching between the “Marketplace” and “Customize”
    microprofile-20240722-164413.html (669.4 KB)

Bumping this bug report because it seems to have been forgotten and haven’t got any reply yet at all.