The Future of Creator Documentation - Docs Site Beta

Great UI, cool guides and documentations. Its definitely something im gonna spend time on!

2 Likes

Will the new TextChatService documentation be on the new docs?

Because I noticed the page for it looks almost exactly the same as before, expect with the new UI.

1 Like

Their docs are sourced from a json file, as we saw from the api-docs folder. Even if the one in Studio’s install were minimal, they probably just copied them over to the new site.

3 Likes

I am a tiny bit worried about the readability of the new page.

The old API reference site has more readable markdown for labels such as “readonly” and “notreplicated”, as well as having its tags separated by a larger margin. Additionally, the old site is more compact when it comes to vertically listing a class’ properties, functions and events. The new site is less user-friendly when scaled down to a certain size. The comparison below shows roughly the same window sizes. All the beforementioned makes the new site a little more troublesome to utilize and read through.

Side-by-side comparison of the Accessory class:

31 Likes

It’s all bugs, they dont have the spacing and formatting done properly yet.

2 Likes

Hi, this looks pretty cool! I haven’t deep diven on this, but here we go:

I reckon the sidebar looks a bit… cluttered. When you open the dropdown, it’s a bit overwhelming.

Imagine having to scroll down to Z!

It’s probably a good idea to bring the hierarchical tree from the soon-to-be-old DevHub, along with separating Services and non-Services.

But hey, beta is beta - there’s edges to sharpen for sure (many more than what I am pointing out), but it’s looking good!

Question which may or may not be a more random idea - are/would there plans for a similar platform for community tooling/libraries/frameworks? I reckon it would be nice if we could have a standard-ish way to document our own stuff.

4 Likes

Would be nice if the title of the page matched the viewed class instead of just saying “Documentation”, just like in the Developer Hub.

18 Likes

Ehh, the tree was messy in both the current wiki, and the API ref site i use

1 Like

To be fair I guess there isn’t a lot that can be done especially when the tree itself is messy. But I was actually referring to the group tree, instead of the raw inheritance tree, my bad:

This is probably what many people use, as they probably want to know the name of a certain service and aren’t sure about it. Using categories is a pretty good starting point.

3 Likes

Roblox web developer lingo for ugly, bloated, and less feature-rich?

7 Likes

The single best update so far!!! Roblox already has world-class API documentation, and hearing that it is getting even better makes me so incredibly happy. In addition, hearing that community documentation is seeing a return is music to my ears! I hope that this documentation will be better kept up to date, as I have noticed a few pages on the DevHub slowly growing out of sync with current practices or patterns. Overall, this is just a very exciting update that I will definitely be checking up on often. Thank you very much!!! :smiley: :roblox: :roblox_light:

1 Like

It would be wonderful if instead of something like this we had a simple type signature and an explanation of the argument names/return.

vs something like

math.clamp(x: number, min: number, max: number) -> number

As a programmer I definitely find type signatures a lot more helpful than a table where the type isn’t even in a consistent place (it’s after the name in the header but before it in the argument names?).

12 Likes

As a Roblox education instructor, this is tremendously helpful! Often I get asked to deviate from the curriculum and cover additional topics, some of which were lacking tutorials on the Developer Hub.

5 Likes

The first suggestion I do have is to maybe compress everything down. Even on relatively small pages, there is a lot of scrolling. The DevHub was pretty compact but on here it seems everything is pretty spread out.

In addition, it would be nice to have the sidebar on pages follow the page as it scrolls down as it does on the DevHub for quick and easy access to other functions, properties, or events in the same class.

5 Likes

Yes, the second FAQ question says that soon they will “eventually deprecate the DevHub entirely”.

3 Likes

I love it! However, this website is awful on mobile (and so is the DevHub):

It would be nice if this were fixed :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

add a sort for:

• Recently edited
  • Recently created
3 Likes

Omg… This is the most amazing thing ever!
A NATIVE DARK THEME!!!

Can this be called functions instead of methods?

Also, how long did it take? It looks like it took you a long time to make this! Cheers to the Roblox team!

2 Likes

they are methods, not functions

3 Likes

This change is going to be amazing going forward I can already tell!

1 Like