The Future of Creator Documentation - Docs Site Beta

I know, but they are called Functions on the Dev Hub:

Agreed. A lot of the classes and instances lacked code example or is not clearly explained in Developer Hub, such as TweenService and HumanoidDescription. So when I entered new documentation website, first thing to search is TweenService and HumanoidDescription… Both are actually explained in much greater detail. This is a huge step in learning process and making our learning experience so much better.

However, all sections in each article needs to be collapsed by default so it doesn’t take much of scrolling and allow us to choose to open (un-collapse) a section. Right now all articles are very overwhelming even for the experienced scripters.

1 Like

Methods are just member functions. Methods are functions, but functions aren’t always methods. So it doesn’t really matter.

2 Likes

Found an issue!

Legacy DevHub:

Modern Creator Documentation:

You should be able to search Event, Properties and Methods. This is a bad user experience, and should be fixed.

14 Likes

It would also be nice to update existing member signatures to match Luau’s type syntax.

Current:

Instance FindFirstChild(string name, bool recursive)

Luau:

FindFirstChild(name: string, recursive: bool): Instance
20 Likes

Okay, but how do I make the background white instead of black?

4 Likes

With regards to community-sourced contributions: would this also include localized documentation? International developers (especially in the Spanish-speaking community) have a hard time finding (reliable) documentation and if everything can be in one official place, this would make developing more accessible for international users.

7 Likes

Font size needs to be decreased a good bit. Small sections are taking up half the screen on Desktop compared to how much screen content was shown on the DevHub, which I think was an appropriate font size. The color scheme should also be changed, it feels weird with everything being just black and white.

There is also currently too much empty space which could be another reason for the pages to feel less informative and easy to read as the DevHub

11 Likes

I love this site!

By the way…

https://create.roblox.com/docs/reference/engine/enums/Font

4 Likes

Yeah, docs site has that same small uncomfortable window feel :+1:

I do like the dark mode though

1 Like

Amazing! This is a great update! Targetted in just the right place! :slight_smile: More short tutorials and examples would also be much appreciated! Especially on CFrames :rofl: !

A sad note though: many of us cannot suggest improvements due to regular promotions being turned off!

I always felt that the devhub was a huge downgrade compared to the old, but very functional discontinued wiki. So far, the documentation lives up to all expectations. Though I noticed a few issues on mobile devices.

Pages just hang while loading with no feedback, making it seem like the tab crashed. The UI also doesn’t scale very well in vertical orientation (text is cut off on the right side). But besides the minor inconvenience, the information is plentiful and easily accessible.

2 Likes

Actually, I think the new white space looks good, and is much more readable than the screenshot you added. Maybe a whitespace option could be useful?

finally i always hated how the UI looked, now i can finally look at it without going blind :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really? The larger font is easier to read for me, the blank space makes it not feel nearly as claustrophobic, and the color scheme is a much nicer one.

I clicked “scripting” on the next steps page and…

I guess this section isn’t finished yet?

4 Likes

wish they’d just copy how rust’s documentation looks; the way this is stylized has made it inefficient to scan quickly

1 Like

My thoughts: All of my complaints about the new documentation site - Development Discussion - DevForum | Roblox

7 Likes

Already found a ton of problems when running the new docs site on mobile (I use the DevHub on mobile while coding on my PC)

First of all, the absence of a light-mode is quite annoying for me, I like to enable light-mode in order to increase visibility of text, since I find it easier to read text when the background is white.

Second of all, the site is not usable without using desktop mode on mobile, text gets cut off if you don’t enable desktop mode.

Then there’s this:

You need my full screen and more just to list the sections? I feel that only the main sections should be shown with the rest collapsed with-in the main sections. Or maybe even if there was a capped length to the menu and a scrollbar would appear if it were any longer, such as how the DevHub does it right now.

And this:

No zooming here, this is genuinely what you recieve without desktop view on mobile.

Missing an example for OrderedDatastores on the DataStores article?

Text on the API list does not get smaller on thinner screens.

Screenshot_20220406_223754

Text feels obnoxiously big, also why does the red error say ‘Deprecated’ just to go on saying that it has been fully removed, Deprecated does not mean it is removed, and this will just further confuse developers.

The bottom bar looks like it’s ‘missing something’ and again the text is obnoxiously big compared to the side bar text.

Text cut off in non-desktop mode.

You should re-think this decision, a beta is called a beta for a reason, you should continue to update the DevHub until the Documentation site is fully fixed of all these bugs.

Overall, I can see what you guys were going for and it seems that it looks great on desktop, but when it comes to mobile compatibility, no offence but you guys seem to have failed. :pensive:

I may have to consider using an unofficial documentation as the new docs just don’t suit my needs anymore.

15 Likes

Haven’t taken a good look at it yet but please fix mobile scaling.

And why are classes sorted alphabetically. This is making it annoying to find certain things. Mobile scaling is just not good at all right now. I’m seeing tons of overlap, clipping, etc. (Iphone 11 pro)

Please tell me if you guys are having issues with this as well and tel me why.

2 Likes