The future of immersive communication on Roblox

I think you should try the game out first then talk, Funny how you’re framing Roblox :joy:

1 Like

It would have been very nice if you guys released the VoiceChatService api instead of whatever this is… never going to use this and I don’t even have Roblox on my phone so this is completely useless to me. I’m working on a project centered around communication between players and I have to completely disable voice chat for now because there is no api for voice chat, meaning it doesn’t work the way I need it to for my game.

3 Likes

I had no idea that Roblox was going to directly complete with Google Meet and Zoom. What a complete waste of resources developing a useless feature. How much money did Roblox spend making this “feature”? The effort could have been better spent on providing actual features that people have been asking for for years like the ability to rotate images, decals, and textures in game instead of this.

3 Likes

Cool, as long as developers can disable it for their experiences!!

3 Likes

Exactly. I had to delete the app on my iPhone because I was getting calls and had no way to disable it. I shouldn’t have to unfriend or block someone on Roblox just to stop someone from calling me. There should just be a feature to disable calls entirely from your account settings (a bit like how you can disable messaging other users).

2 Likes

It’s not Roblox’s fault that apple is so bad and has no option to disable it since apple doesn’t have any features at all, just get android instead of getting scammed by apple :sob:

1 Like

average age of the player base is actually 17-18+ and quite a few people 40-50+

1 Like

Hi Creators,

We have implemented a fix that respects the Do Not Disturb (DND) toggle on iOS on November 16, alongside a fix for Driving Mode (iOS) settings on November 15. This means the DND settings are now being utilized appropriately and in line with CallKit’s best practices.

Please note that as intended by iOS, it is still possible to receive repeated calls while in DND on iOS. To disable this, you may disallow repeated calls in your Focus Settings. Go to Settings , Focus, then choose a Focus — for example, Do Not Disturb, Personal, Sleep, or Work. You can learn more here.

If you have an Android device and want to know what options you have for DND settings, you can learn more here.

We really appreciate your patience as we roll out this fix. Your feedback has been invaluable during this process!

Thank you.

8 Likes

thank :clap: you :clap: for :clap: taking :clap: note :clap: of :clap: this

2 Likes

It is good to see some steps being taken in this direction but my question would be why there is not a privacy option to limit or prevent calls altogether.

I can control privacy in every other aspect of social interaction through my account settings, why is this particular one not also implemented in the same way?

Is there a technical issue that prevents a privacy toggle with tiers similar to existing ones being added at the account level:

Such as:

Allow all calls
Allow calls only from (user_names)
Do not allow calls

1 Like

Hi @Noble_Draconian
I totally get it and I’m really sorry the new Audio APIs have taken so long.
The APIs in this announcement focus on the ‘calling’ experience on Roblox, which gives developers new opportunities for communication between players.

Regarding the Audio API, we shared an initial preview at RDC, which will give you what you want for voice chat control and a ton more.

Trust me, this work has been our priority and we are working on the finishing touches for their beta release. Stay tuned!

9 Likes

Im really happy to hear this has been worked on.

Honestly i just wished it was easier to contact roblox staff who can let us know on this stuff more.

It honestly feels like a 20% chance that a question gets answered on the dev forum from a staff member. The only other way of getting a somewhat reliable reply from roblox is through the support page, which most of the time isn’t even a human responding and often just gives us links to stuff that doesn’t ever answer my more specific questions.

I have noticed it has been slowly getting better though and I heavily appreciate that and hope that direction continues.

5 Likes

Can I flee from this bad decision made by Roblox except not having phone number verified?

3 Likes

You can just disable voice chat.

3 Likes

Are there any options for desktop users like me to disable the in-game prompts?

2 Likes

Despite what controversy may be of this as a whole, the decision to allow phone verification to use voice chat was A tier. I probs won’t use vc much but at least I can use it now.

2 Likes

It’s annoying seeing all these next-to-useless features get added while the entries on the Creator Roadmap gather dust.

3 Likes

Hi Raterix,

Other users should not be able to listen to your calls. The Call API provided only allows developers to specify a reserved server (with access code) as the call destination.

If a developer mistakenly teleports a user that is not part of the call to the reserved server, Roblox platform will automatically end the call.

If you are able to reproduce a different behavior using the API than the one outlined above, please reach out to us for further investigation. We appreciate all the help in testing our API.

3 Likes

SocialService SelfView APIs don’t seem to work with the new experience controls.

2 Likes

Does anybody else got this? I’am ID Verified/Phone verified too, I have voice chat and microphone turned on, i have 17+ setting enabled too, but it still doesn’t let me call anybody, it’s just pops up that error. Also it doesn’t work on mobile too.

3 Likes