The future of immersive communication on Roblox

But there will always be some who like and use the feature. So just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean that nobody likes it. And you have the luxury of simply ignoring it when it’s there, but if it’s not there, nobody who wants it can conjure it up.

6 Likes

more investor bait how convenient

15 Likes

Roblox is not a kids game, its an all ages metaverse; its also not called ROBLOX, it’s Roblox.

The team working on this was probably a different team than those working on the actual avatars. Lets hope for more customization from that team though :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just when I thought that Roblox was going somewhere.

Disappointing.

10 Likes

You don’t have to download anything else and it’s roblox(The flair, the avatar, everything simple(You can play together))(I think that counts).

4 Likes

who let roblox cook and burn the oven WTH is this?? :speaking_head: :fire:

14 Likes

First of all, hats off to the people who worked on this. They actually put decent effort into the feature and their hard work shouldn’t go unnoticed.

But just why does this exist in the first place? Who would voluntarily decide to start a 1:1 call with someone they presumably know that’s going to be heavily moderated? People will just go to virtually any other social media service where they can say what they want in a voice call.

It’s also a bit of a let down to see objectively unnecessary “innovations” like this get funding and man hours funneled into it; meanwhile we have countless features - some released only a couple of years ago - that are still either unfinished or outright broken.

Ugh.

23 Likes

Bruh what is wrong with my phone app. Like, why use Roblox. I don’t want to waste 60% more battery having a 3 minute call. My momma doesn’t have Roblox how am I supposed to call her and tell that I failed English class (didn’t)

6 Likes

When can we get voice chat APIs? Roblox developers have been asking for voice chat APIs for almost 3 years now. We keep getting told “yes these are coming”, but instead of releasing voice chat APIs first so we can make for a better social experience, we get a call app in Roblox.

Voice chat APIs are foundational to making a good social experience.

20 Likes

The feature is not bad, there looks to be a good work put behind, however, there’s always downsides coming with everything. I wanna start off with the fact that there’s no actual way of blocking these calls if you are id verified. We should have a setting that allows us to enable/disable this feature, as this could be abused and become annoying very quickly. Now my phone (a Samsung S22) has a built-in DND mode, and this helps me stay away from calls, and also affects Roblox’s feature. It’s not even been a day and I see people complaining about spam calls. Please if you are going to make a feature only 20% off the website will use, at least let us decide if we want to enable these calls or no.

Again, the feature is cool, it’s impressive and it’s pretty much not something we would’ve seen coming years ago, but the fact that people are getting spam calls is a very big problem. Please add an option to disable calls! Not everybody has time to call with their friends 24/7 or to look at their phone to accept these phone calls haha

8 Likes

With all due respect to the ROBLOX engineers who made this possible…This feature just seems so cringeworthy. I would never use this. But that’s just my opinion.

5 Likes

This is nightmare fuel. That’s all I’m gonna say… I need to go bleach my eyes.

3 Likes

Thank you for just saying it. There is a very heavy focus at the moment on social features but we, as developers, are probably more concerned about the state of the engine itself.

It could just be me however it seems like bringing new features to the engine has fallen off the list of priorities lately despite a lot of existing and popular feature requests being geared at well… new engine features. A big one lately seems to be lighting now that people are starting to pick up on how barebones even future is (and how we have far too little control over lighting in the first place) however we’ve only received updates on light range being increased through a reply to an unrelated announcement.

There is nothing wrong with adding new features like this to the platform but I feel Roblox’s priorities need to be more balanced.

12 Likes

please let me disable this why cant i disable this

9 Likes

With all due respect; No one asked for this.

Roblox, please. There’s thousands of features you could add (proper reflectivity on objects, fisheye lens, UI blurring, etc) but yet you choose to chase this hopeless dream of the metaverse or whatever the heck your corporate jerries call them. For God’s sake ROBLOX, please get your head back in the game. I seriously don’t mean any offense but there’s so many better things to do with your time and resources.

Rest assured, this update won’t bring any new revenue or players. It’s just gonna bring more alienation to a community already distant from you.

13 Likes

Honestly have nothing to say about this whole thing, it’s easier for me to go to messenger or my phone’s pre-installed “call” program and call my parent friend than it is to chat here

4 Likes

I don’t understand the point of this at all, there’s already third-party platforms like Discord, Guilded which you are directly partnering with, and FaceTime of course.

What’s the purpose of this feature when it is literally like an alarm clock, I don’t want to receive calls from random people at all.

I would just use Discord or Guilded, there’s no point in this at all actual resources could have gone to helpful features that give back to the community but nope, this is Powering Imagination.

12 Likes

This is ok but I can guarantee you that majority of devs won’t ever use this and will get annoyed by the calls.

5 Likes

I dont get the point of this. Who is ever gonna use this?

6 Likes

I don’t like taking a dump on Roblox or being all negative and pessimistic, I absolutely love Roblox don’t get me wrong.

But seriously? What is this update. It goes to show how very disconnected Roblox is from its community. No one asked for this and no one needs this.

Maybe there is some higher ups who thinks this will benefit the platform and help grow it, maybe it will. I can’t say, it is not my job to know. If it does and they are certain it does, I am all for it. But if there’s no genuine research done into developing this feature besides to appease investors, it is a huge waste of time.

The only thing I can see this being useful for is if it helps retain and bring users back to the Roblox app on their mobile, increasing the average playtime for users overall. Maybe it’ll do just that, but no one in their right mind will ever think Roblox can overtake common apps like WhatsApp, Telegram, Messenger & Snapchat when it comes to actual communication. This is already 13+ and requires ID verification, if I need to ID verify myself just to use a calling service I’ll just go to a fully encrypted app like Signal.

21 Likes