The new Roblox 64-bit Byfron client forbids Wine users from using it. (Most likely unintentional)

Apologises for the confusion! I meant to ask if it’s gone up from 25% since then.

I believe that the best way to prevent cheating (in competetive games) is to promote mass-reporting and vote-kick schemes.

1 Like

“might?” it really needs to be in kernel mode to cause a max extension event

No, you can’t run VMs such as “android emulators” in Wine/Proton/any compatibility layers in mind.
However, there are better solutions for Linux since Android basically uses the Linux kernel for most of it’s operations.
If you have AMD or Intel GPUs, you can try out Waydroid, which is a compatibility layer for running Android apps, with similar approach as Wine and Proton. Install the ARM64 compatibility libraries in using waydroid_scripts and install Roblox in it. You might need to use a compatible kernel such as Zen though.

If you have an NVIDIA GPU, bad luck though, you do need a VM-based emulator to run the android client. However if your CPU is from 2012 or later, you can use QEMU with KVM enabled + virtio-gpu, and install x86 Android ISOs such as BlissOS in it. Might not be as fast as compatibility layers, but still better than Windows VMs (which requires a GPU passthrough, and you might have to install either a Byfron’d 64-bit client or a Microsoft Store client that’s more buggy (such as mouse locking and acceleration issues) and will probably be Byfron’d very soon) and performance should be closer to the native method.

3 Likes

Follow the instructions above if you still want to run Roblox inside Linux but don’t want to use any Windows VM approaches for reasons.

I’ve been watching this thread since hour zero, and it’s something I strongly agree. Thank you @Bitdancer. Thank you so much.

When I made the thread Community Feedback should be part of the decision making process, this was the sort of thing that was missing, the act of communication.

While it’s not publicly said, there’s a good reason why employees like @BitwiseAndrea and @peraldon are so renowned and praised by the community (even if implicitly), it’s that they communicate with our community and we communicate back. It’s not something we not taken entirely for granted.

As a Linux user, it is unfortunate that this is the case that Linux support is put on hold this way but I feel something different, that someone out there does care even if it’s not today. Does the thread need a good clean? Oh boi it does.

16 Likes

Been reading this thread, @Bitdancer has been very helpful and love the useful questions!

Not sure if this has been asked yet but when will 100% of players receive the 64 bit clients? I have a game demo that uses extremely detailed textures to the point where it reaches more than 6gb of ram!
And I was wondering how many users are 32-bit users? I assume less than or near 0.05% (based off steam hardware survey of march 2023).

3 Likes

the byfron team has the most professional corporate environment ever!

I believe this is a sign that they’re rolling it out to more people? I don’t believe I’ve had this other than the few times I’ve intentionally switched over to the ‘zwinplayer64’ channel.

1 Like

:wine_glass:

may it rest : - (

5 Likes

Figured I’d post an update here: rbxfpsunlocker has been updated with support for the new client. Releases · axstin/rbxfpsunlocker · GitHub

14 Likes

This is also incorrect and misinformative. Again, please do not post irrelevant, speculative content.

6 Likes

As a security nerd myself, kernel level access creates a massive security risk. I’d rather not have a RING 0 program on my computer because it’s effectively a root kit. Hopefully we don’t need a kernel level anticheat

4 Likes

So much for anti-cheat eh, blocking an entire userbase because your revolutionary anti-cheat doesn’t like it, how corporate. (Can’t wait @3dsboy08 to do the funny work and somehow bypass the wine block of course, what else?)

4 Likes
4 Likes

Is there anywhere to discuss 64 bit roblox client? I’m not sure if I should ask here since this is a bug report.

I’m just curious if we will be able to use more than 6 GB of RAM? I noticed that lots of PBR texture instances result in using more than 6 GB of RAM (I am new to using them so I’m unsure if there is a better method or if my textures are just intensive).

Please create a new topic in https://devforum.roblox.com/c/development-discussion

With the release of the Steam Deck, it’s a shame that it’s completely unable to play Roblox – I’m aware that Linux systems (ChromeOS, SteamOS, Mint, etc.) only take up ~8% total market share, but it would be so nice to be able to natively play Roblox on Linux.

It gets better, they have a whole video on the boasting about moving experience servers to ubuntu.

Locking out linux/VM users under a generic “security and compatibility concerns” holds no candle here. There is just no excuse to treat a subset of the roblox community as exploiters or malicious actors when entire experience servers run on linux.

12 Likes

The move from Windows Server 20XX to Linux is their only best move as Windows Server 20XX is a paid operating system so Roblox is required to pay annually to keep their license up to keep Game Servers running. while Linux is a free operating system that you don’t have to pay for just to host Game Servers.

Plus, its the most popular option for most Hosting Services as its easier to setup, the performance of Linux is much better and much more secure than Windows Server 20XX as Linux.

3 Likes